Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Recognizing the Five Senses in Daily Routines

Early Childhood

Recognizing the Five Senses in Daily Routines

Author Post
Vanessa Trejo Vanessa Trejo 450 Points

I am working on creating a 5E lesson plan for my pre - kindergarten students. For my 5E lesson, the topic is the five senses and how it is important for our everyday life as well as what sense we use for everyday objects around us. For the engage portion of my lesson there will be a presentation of an online video/song as well as an opportunity to access prior knowledge. For the explore portion of my lesson I will direct students to venture out in the classroom to make use of their five senses where they will Independently discover items in which they can see, smell, touch, taste, or hear. For the explain portion of my lesson plan students will independently construct  their own five senses booklet based on the presented instructional explore material directed and model by my self. For the elaborate portion of my lesson plan there will be a presentation of a five senses book with questions where any kind of clarification the students may need can be addressed. And finally, for the evaluate portion of my lesson plan I will have students independently complete a writing exit ticket where they complete a cut and glue handout to summarize their learning. Does this sound like something a pre - kindergarten class will be able to do? It is my first time working with such young students. Is there something I could change or improve? Any and all ideas are welcomed. Thank you!

Valerie Green Valerie Green 480 Points

HI,

I love all the different aspects of learning you have thought of, especially for different types of learners. Is there any way to incorporate more models of things (concrete objects) in addition to going outside? Like, maybe using different fruits to demonstrate scents, having different sounds they can guess, different tastes (especialy salt and sugar because they look alike, if diet allows), or maybe a bag they could stick their hand in and try to feel and guess without looking? I have also seen the sense of touch done with deflated balloons filled with different objects, (popcorn, etc.) and the students could feel it and try to guess and then after everyone has a chance to guess, it gets cut open to see how accurate their guess was.

Teresha Sutton Teresha Sutton 325 Points

Hi Vanessa,

I think you are on the right track and the children would enjoy the activities you have planned for them.  Will you be doing this entire lesson in one day?  If so, I think it will be too much for them.  It may be more benefical to teach these lesssons over 2 or 3 if needed.  However, you may have to add a few more activites if you do so!  Best!

Teresha

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers