Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Science Methods for ELLs

Elementary Science

Science Methods for ELLs

Author Post
Carlie Cheek Carlie Cheek 1310 Points

During science experiments, what kind of methods do you use to help engage and accommodate English Language Learners?

Adelita Chapa Adelita Chapa 430 Points

Hello Carlie, 

Its easy for students to learn when working with hand on activities they will be engaged while learning. Also providing students with visual materials will work on having a better understanding of the concept they will be working with. 

Laura Pirtle Laura Pirtle 270 Points

Hi Carlie! 

SInce i am working in the first grade for my ELL we use alot of picture clues as well as demonstrations in order to get him on the right track!

Claudia Garcia Claudia Garcia 730 Points

Hi Carlie, 

During science experiments, you can get the ELL students talking to get them involved in the activity, you can also try to utilize pictures so they have a visual representation, and as a teacher, we can try to learn a little about their language and culture and implement them in the lesson plans.  

Laura Limon Laura Limon 1050 Points

While doing Science lessons I usually use nearby posted pictures/anchor charts, sentence stems, a word bank, vocabulary, and connections to prior knowledge to help ELL students. These usually work. 

Clara Johnson Clara Johnson 30 Points

Good idea! 

Meredith Fain Meredith Fain 685 Points

As an ESL teacher, my biggest tip would be to make the content accessible! If you are unsure how to make a certain topic relevant or accessible to a learner, consult your ESL teacher or your grade-level team! Two minds are better than one. Accessibility varies per student and language proficiency - some students may need a bilingual peer to assist them in translating content words while other students may need sentence starters to get that ball rolling. Make sure you know your students and their needs and meet them! 

Marissa Gammer Marissa Gammer 402 Points

Science vocabulary can be difficult for ELLs. I would review vocabulary prioir to the lesson/experiment. Visual aids are also a great support for ELLs along with sentence stems for answering questions.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers