Forums

Elementary Science

Labs

Author Post
Kennedy Polk Kennedy Polk 180 Points

I am a pre-service teacher looking to find ways to get my future students enaged in science. I remember being in elementray school and into middle school, the best days were when we got to do science labs but there were very few of them. What are some ways you have managed to incorporate more labs during the school year and any labs that were a huge hit with the kids? 

Flavio Mendez Flavio Mendez 52501 Points

Hi Kennedy,

Consider incorporating science notebooks in your classroom. See this article. I would like to see others ideas.

https://common.nsta.org/resource/?id=10.2505/4/sc17_055_03_38

Flavio

Sam Adams Sam Adams 2418 Points

This is an excellent question. As a student, I was one of those students who found themselves disengaged with science. A way that may help students, as it did with me, is games or hands-on acitivities that engage the students without them knowing the 'science' part directly. Then, have the discussion based around how science played in and the importance for the activity. Have the students discuss the importncae after an example game, and move from there. 

Sam Adams Sam Adams 2418 Points

This is an excellent question. As a student, I was one of those students who found themselves disengaged with science. A way that may help students, as it did with me, is games or hands-on acitivities that engage the students without them knowing the 'science' part directly. Then, have the discussion based around how science played in and the importance for the activity. Have the students discuss the importncae after an example game, and move from there. 

Kassi Dean Kassi Dean 2335 Points

Hey Kennedy,

Perhaps you could do mini labs as a wake up activity on dreaded Mondays. Something that does not take much longer than bell work but would still give you and your kids more lab time. Maybe this link will give you some ideas.

https://www.frugalcouponliving.com/5-minute-science-experiments-for-kids/

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers