Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Introduce Science to students

Elementary Science

Introduce Science to students

Author Post
Evelina Gutierrez Evelina Gutierrez 295 Points

Hi, what would be the best way to introduce science to a group of children that has no idea what science is about? What kind of supplies can I use foe this?

Anne Lowry Anne Lowry 8543 Points

I'm intrigued by the phrase that they have 'no idea what science is about...' Look at the science and engineering principles; I am sure your will find that those children's actions are well represented.  Beyond that, so much depends on the grade  and interests of your students. 

Once you have an idea of your student interests, look at the Early Years column, or keyword that interest in the learning center.  That will give you lots of ideas.

To put those ideas into action, you need to think backwards.  What experiences do they need to have so that they can do X.  You may have to directly teach some skills, such as how to use a magnifying glass.  If so, I'd do that before you teach the content

Good luck!

Anne

Sharnae Pegues Sharnae Pegues 620 Points

I believe that stations are one of the best ways to get a topic across to students while giving them a great science experience. There are tons of station ideas for science lessons all over the internet. Since you're teaching elementary students, the engagement level of each station will be pretty easy to accomplish.

Mary Potter Mary Potter 745 Points

I believe one of the best way to introduce science to students that have never even heard of science, would be to first show how science is used in their everyday lives. This shows them how abundant and important that science is. Science is in cooking, math, nature, etc. There's so many ways you can introduce them to it. Doing a nature walk and having them record or draw what they see is one of my favorite ways to get students interested in science. 

Judith Boyle Judith Boyle 965 Points

Hi, Evelina,

Children are the best scientists and they display this innate ability when taken outside. Equip them with a box of colored pencils, a notebook (teacher-made or composition book), and the task of finding something they think is cool and drawing a picture of it. Have them list five questions they have about the object they have found, and you are on your way! You can also bring items (phenomenon) into your classroom and displaying them on a table. As your students enter the room, start recording their questions but don't answer the questions. Allow the students to share their ideas looking for misconceptions. You will also be able to see the various levels of knowledge your students have. Listening to your students is the most important step you can take to teaching them science. They will amaze you and you will love it!

You will want to check your state's science standards and the NGSS to see the performance expectations for your grade level. This will help you determine what phenomena you will need to present to your students. NSTA's website and their publication Science and Children will give you great ideas for teaching specific standards. And, the NSTA conferences are amazing! The next one, NSTA Virtual STEM Expo and Forum is at the end of July and you can now register!

Have fun,

Judy

Heather Kirk Heather Kirk 1075 Points

Hi, what would be the best way to introduce science to a group of children that has no idea what science is about? What kind of supplies can I use foe this?

Hello! I love reminding my students that science is ALL AROUND THEM! We talk about science all through the day... it doesn't really matter if we are in math, reading, writing, recess or lunch! I just have short conversations with my students in small groups or one-on-one asking them about something around them, helping them notice the little phenomenons that happen all around them and making them wonder about something! This makes my students start thinking and getting them curious!! Good luck! 

Rebecca Montgomery Rebecca Montgomery 600 Points

You mentioned talking about science throughout the day and connecting it to different subjects, and I'm wondering how you approach the standards that might go with those lessons? As you are incorporating new ideas and concepts do you keep track of the standards they allign with? What is the best way to make sure you are meeting all of the requirements if you teach things as they come up naturally in the classroom?  As a pre-service teacher, I have created many NGSS alligned lesson plans and made them cross-curricular with literacy or math standards, but it seems overwhelming going into the classroom and trying to fit everything in if you don't have a concrete schedule to cover it. 

Shelby Hardison Shelby Hardison 640 Points

I believe that one of the best ways that students can be introduced to the topic of science is through cross- curricular lessons. Showing your students that science is in everything that is around them is foundational. A topic that really benefitted me in this area is the Fibonacci numbers. It surrounds the idea that math and science (which go hand in hand) is all around you. You should check it out and research more about it!

Lilian Elizondo Lilian Elizondo 470 Points

Science is all around and when introducing science for the first time can be challenging. Laying the foundation is key for the upcoming grade levels specially keeping the students engaged. I know for a fact that student are curios and active specially in the early grade levels teaching science would mostly be done using hand on manipulatives.

In my opinion, I believe if you make groups of two or more students and take them on a field trip around the school ground to keep them engage in the lesson. Whether teaching the different surfaces, teaching matter, the difference of insects and bugs give students the opportunity to explore and observe using their magnifying glass, goggles and their science journals to draw their observations. It may be silly, but for students they may feel important using scientific tools to observe and record such investigation on their journals. Before the trip you may want to give a mini lesson on the tools that they are about be using for science safety. 

Hannah Moore Hannah Moore 855 Points

Students may not have heard of the word science, but they will have definetly had experiences that are related to science. I think you should figure out what their background knowledge is and help them begin to make connections to their experiences. Students have experiences with weather, nature, water, etc. There such a huge range of science topics that they will have all had some kind of science experience already.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers