Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Flexible Seating

New Teachers

Flexible Seating

Author Post
Madison Jantzen Madison Jantzen 1785 Points

When do you think is it okay to implement flexible seating in the classroom? If you have used it has it been beneficial to your students? 

Geena Pinacate Geena Pinacate 260 Points

i've seen flexible seating being implemented very successfully in a fourth grade classroom. my mentor teacher did really well with establishing behavior expectations and even had them posted in the class. students understood that it was a privlege and where responsible with their freedom. so maybe if you feel like your students are mature enough to follow rules and can behave accordingly, then you should totally implement. good luck sister!

Reina Taasan Reina Taasan 790 Points

From my experiences, my mentor would provide flexible seating whenever students are doing individual work, except for when taking assessments. She incorporated this in her classroom to show her students that she can trust them. It’s beneficial if you set the tone and the expectations on how you want the students to behave by giving them this privilege. I also think it just depends on the dynamic of your students. 

Aubrey Fortuno Aubrey Fortuno 1060 Points

I'm currently a pre-service teacher, and see flexible seating implemented in my 2nd-3rd grade classroom. Students have the choice between sitting at their desk, sitting on the carpet,  and using a unique implement that has them sit on one side to prop up a writing service in front of them. Even in just sitting at their desk, they have stools, regular chairs, and wobbly chairs to choose from. It's such an incredible thing to see that everyone's interests and comfortable set-ups are honored to improve the work experience for them... Although I have not yet seen the effects of implementing flexible seating at a younger age, I can confirm that it is truly beneficial to 2nd-3rd graders. However, of course, it is important to set expectations and build their awareness of what is a 'good choice' for them, like - Will this help you get your work done, or do you see yourself getting distracted by the wobbly chair?

Michelle Rim Michelle Rim 1755 Points

I think in middle school, students are more capable of being independent enough for flexible seating to be implemented in the classroom. However, clear rules of what is expected of them should be emphasized as flexible seating is more of a privilege in the classroom. If during the school year students are talking too much, then it should be okay to move them to decrease the distractions in the classroom for yourself and their peers.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers