Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Natural Resources & the conservation of our planet

Earth and Space Science

Natural Resources & the conservation of our planet

Author Post
Lucia Meras-Torres Lucia Meras-Torres 1040 Points

Hello everyone,
Hope all of you out there are having a wonderful Saturday!
My name is Lucy and I am an aspiring teaching currently in my first semester of Student Teaching at the College of Education in the University of Houston. My classroom is a 4thgrade Math & Science classroom, and I am reaching out to the science community for some help.
We recently covered the natural resources TEK and I closed our lesson with a conversation of the conservation of our planet and different way to do that. The kids loved learning about different ways we can help our planet and because of that I am searching ideas on how to implement recycling with in our classroom while having the students engaged. Unfortunately, the school is not a big supporter of recycling, but I would love our classroom to become one. Any thoughts, ideas or comments you have are extremely appreciated.  

Thank you,
Lucy Torres

Emily Faulconer Emily Faulconer 5755 Points

Many years ago I did an aluminum can drive. I asked students to bring in washed cans (to avoid a sticky mess ... and ants). At the end of the year, we used the money we got from dropping them off at a scrap yard for a pizza party. Thankfully, my principal supported the project and gave us some room in a storage shed to keep the bags of crushed cans. 

Lindsay Melching Lindsay Melching 185 Points

Hi, Lucy. My school has conducted a cell phone recycling drive in connection with our local zoo to promote Gorilla Conservation.  It looks like the Houston Zoo does the same thing.  Here is the link.  https://www.houstonzoo.org/save-wildlife/take-action/electronic-device-recycling/

Emily Faulconer Emily Faulconer 5755 Points

Cell phone recycling is a great project! 1 ton of iPhones has more gold than 1 ton of gold ore does! 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers