Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Teaching Science

Elementary Science

Teaching Science

Author Post
Christiann Roach Christiann Roach 200 Points

Upon entering my first year of teaching, I want to know how to make Science fun and engaging. Science is a hard subject to teach, and it is even harder to keep the students engaged. 

Bailey Pace Bailey Pace 180 Points

Christiann, I also wonder the best ways to make science fun and engaging. I think one way to do this it to provide hands-on activities. If students are allowed to work with tools and materials, I think they will stay engaged rather than just reading out of a book or filling out a worksheet.

Michelle Hester Michelle Hester 180 Points

I also think that the excitement that they see on your face will help in the engaging part of the lesson. When the teacher is modeling what is expect the students will follow. if you are invested then your students will be invested. Also, not being afraid to take risk and being open to failing but learning from those mistakes and building on.

Kaycie Willingham Kaycie Willingham 925 Points

I believe that by showing your students the excitement that you have for science will help them to be excited as well. Also having them do a bunch of hands on activities will help. For example, teaching a unit on weather and having the students collect the data, then making their own weather forecast and commercials to present to the class each day. 

George Mehler George Mehler 1575 Points

Hello Christiann, My name is Dr. George Mehler. I have been creating a YouTube channel called FunScienceDemos. It is home to hundreds of free video demonstrations of engaging science activities for young learners. The videos cover a variety of topics and are easily shown and replicated in the classroom. We encourage you to subscribe to our channel as we release new videos biweekly! https://www.youtube.com/user/funsciencedemos/featured?view_as=public Best of Luck, The FunScienceDemos Team Dr. George Mehler Ed.D., Temple University Jared Hottenstein Central Bucks School District

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers