Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Disagreeing Parents?

New Teachers

Disagreeing Parents?

Author Post
Tanya Miguel Tany Miguel 600 Points

Hello everyone! As a new teacher, I am slightly curious. In our society, everyone has their own opinions on different topics. If I was to teach a science topic, whether it be climate change or evolution, and there was a parent or parents that disagree with those topics and didn't want their child to be a part of it, would I still teach it to the child and the entire class?

Kasey Mannion Kasey Mannion 1020 Points

Hi Tany, 

You bring up a really important point and something that is certainly imtimidating for new teachers! However, I feel that it is so important that we, as educators, stand up for what we believe in and teach our students the proper science content. If a parent expresses that they disagree with your teaching (when it is truly factually accurate,) I feel that is an issue you should bring to the school administration. This is a problem that can be addressed by the principal while you continue to teach and care for the students in your class. Standing firm in our beliefs is a way that teachers can advocate for our students!

Best, 

Kasey  

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers