Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Science and Social Studies Integration

Early Childhood

Science and Social Studies Integration

Author Post
Lillian Estrada Lillian Estrada 170 Points

Hello everyone,
I am a student at UHD in Houston, TX and I will be graduating May 2020 with my bachelor’s in education. I have a question about integrating science and social studies using a regular book for example, The Rainbow Fish. I used this book to teach about the life cycle of a fish and for social studies I was planning on teaching the students about being a good citizen. Do you all think this can be done using a book such as The Rainbow Fish, or would it be better to use a science book and not a picture book? Also, what is the best way to teach a first grader about being a good citizen and having them understand the concept?

Thank you in advance!

Brianda Garcia Brianda Garcia 155 Points

Hello Lillian,

Hello Lillian,

I love this book! I think that is such a great idea to use this book to teach kids about the importance of being a good ciizen. I think that this book can help the students learn in a fun way, because perhaps if you had a regular book with no pictures the students would not be able to have any type of connection making it difficult for them to understand. After reading this book to the students you could have the students write  a compliment to some one special they know. By writing a compliment to someone they know they could be brighting someone's day. Awesome idea thank you I will use this in the future.

Erica FUENTES Erica FUENTES 105 Points

Hi Lillian,

I think using the Rainbow Fish can be used for teaching students how to be a good citizen. The rainbow fish was kind enough at the end of the story to give all the other fishes 1 of his sparlky scales and good citizen ship is being kind and giving to others. I think the best way to teacher first graders about being a good citizen is through some kind of project based learning experience. The only thing I can think of is having the children make some kind of thank you cards to veterns on Veteran's day. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers