Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Space Science

Earth and Space Science

Space Science

Author Post

How do we, as the teachers, start to incoporate space into the classroom content without making the students confused?

Araceli Estrada Araceli Estrada 410 Points

Hello Stephanie,

One of the great ideas to incorporate space into the classroom content is to make activities with the students about space and explain.

Amy Carter Amy Carter 870 Points

Hi Stephanie,

I'm not sure of the age of your students. However, I teach third grade and when we start our Solar System Unit, the students are very excited to learn about space. I would just start out by teaching them about the sun and planets, then add on from there. Any type of pictures or short videos about space that you could display on a smartboard or projector would be exciting for them. Once you have taught them the characteristics of each planet, you can have them choose their favorite planet to do an activity with. My advice would be to start out with small activities that you think they would enjoy then add on other things as you see their interests. I wish you great luck!

Amy Carter

Michael Aprill Michael Aprill 885 Points

I'm a Earth/Space Science teacher.  One of the courses I teach is high school Astronomy.  I don't teach elementary, but I organize a lot of community events where my students can bring their families out to learn about astronomy. 

The nice thing about astronomy is that students have a inherent interest in learning about it.  

I keep families and my students connected to whats going on with astronomy using an online communication app.  You wouldn't need to do this, but I find that when I send out a message at 7 pm, 'look up in the sky right now and this is what you will see.'  That I suddenly get a bunch of emails from parents excited about astronomy and then hear about it from my students the next day.  

I don't try to push the astronomy events, but definitely don't want to miss them.  For example a few weeks ago, there was a stream of satellites released by starlink.  I directed my students to the sky and then discussed what they were seeing. You would be amazed at how many of them got their parents outside to look up.  

Recently, I've been talking with my students and showing them videos about the Artemis missions.  They are seeing history right in front of them. AND soon, the first female and person of color will step foot on the moon. 

You might want to check out this link:  https://earthsky.org/tonight/

Another source is: https://skyandtelescope.org/observing/sky-at-a-glance/

They always update based on what's going on in the sky. You won't always have something to use with students at your level, but it will be worth it when you find the right events and your kids eyes light up.  

Dr. Michael Aprill, NBCT

Dear Stephanie,

I'm wondering what you think your students would find confusing about space. I think many students are excited to learn about space. What grade are your students? What do they already know, and what do they wonder?

Best wishes,
Rachel

[email protected]

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers