Forums

Pre-service Teachers

Resources

Author Post
Kaylee Kueker Kaylee Kueker 1130 Points

As a preservice teacher, I have had many opportunities to collect many resources for my classroom in science and in other content areas. However, the amount of resources I have acquired is starting to feel overwhelming. What resources do more experienced teachers actually use? Which ones should I focus on and learn more about?

Mary Smith Mary Smith 205 Points

My name is Katie Smith, I am an education major at Franics Marion. I had my first field experience this semester and my CT provided me with different reosurces that she uses in her classroom. She showed me her teachers pay teachers account and sent me some of her templetes that she uses for her students. I wanted to know what resources do most teachers use? Do most of the resources depend on what school you are at? Which ones should I look more into?

Hi Katie!

Thank you for your response. I have heard that many teachers use Teachers Pay Teachers too. However, I have also found many resources on NSTA that are useful. I have also come across many classroom books, a variety of curricula (such as Project Wild in Iowa), and teacher workshops or professional development opportunities. I think some of these resources do depend on the school like you mentioned, but there are many free resources online for anyone. My professor encourages us to look at the resources on NSTA most, so I would recommend that to you as well.

Emily Romesburg Emily Romesburg 285 Points

Hi Kaylee. My name is Emily. I am a Early Childhood major at Francis Marion and have been doing field experiences and placements for a year now. I will be doing student teaching next semester and I will say that resources for us teachers are limitless. From online sources, to books, to peers, etc we have so many different places to go for information. My CT, in specfic, this semester has shown me 2 resources I have never heard of or seen. Flocabulary and Teacher Pay Teacher. I also notived that there are so many different kinds of book websites we can use. My two questions for you are: What are resources we should stay away from? and Who are some past teacher/professor/colleagues that you have been around that have good education advice for teaching and being on your own in the classroom for the first time? 

Hi Emily, 

I appreciate your response. I noticed that there are so many resources as well. I knew about Teachers Pay Teachers before, but I have never heard of Flocabulary. That may be something I look into in the future. 

I agree that it is difficult to sort through the reliable resources and the ones we should stay away from, as you asked about. 

In addition, the best teaching advice I have gotten is to give yourself time to adjust to teaching for a year or two and then to go back to school to get your Master's degree as soon as you can. A master's degree will give you more education so that you can be more effective with students. However, giving yourself time to get settled as a teacher allows you to have a basis to go off of when choosing a Master's program and when completing that program. It also shows you how to use the many resources you gain while in school as you are teaching so you can practice with them while you still have support. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers