Forums

Forums / STEM / STEM and special education

STEM

STEM and special education

Author Post
Julia Suthard Julia Suthard 170 Points

Hi! I am working on my master's in Elementary and Special Education. I currently teach in a learning for life and expressions program. What tips, lesson ideas or suggestions do you have for providing special education students with meaningful STEM opportunities?

Thank you! 

Carmen Bernal Carmen Bernal 390 Points

In the past, I have found it particularly challenging to engage sped students in meaningful STEM opportunities as well. The one strategy that has worked for me has been to connect the lesson to a topic I know the students love (art, video games, sports, etc.) 

Marwa Crisp Marwa Crisp 1728 Points

Hi! I am not an elementary school teacher; I'm a middle grades teacher and work in co-taught classes. I tend to provide the same opportunities for my advanced students as I do for my co-taught students, being especially careful about how I present the content. My strategies differ in my co-taught classes, including chunking, differentiating the inquiry level, lesson supplies to provide clarity, using varied assessment, sentence frames, mixed grouping, and a lot of read-alouds. 

Lesson ideas: adding more creative oppotunities with invention challenges!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers