Forums

Forums / New Teachers / New teacher

New Teachers

New teacher

Author Post
Denisse Martinez Denisse Martinez 360 Points

Hi everyone! I will soon become a teacher and I want to be prepared for what my future classroom will consist of. What are some things you wish you knew on your first year as a teacher? Is there anything you would have done different? How do you react to misbehavior and gain students' respect? 

Andrea Champagne Andrea Champagne 85 Points

Yay for being a teacher! I wish I knew I didn't have to grade everything to give feedback. It's okay to have assignments that are just practice work and space for students to make mistakes. Find ways to bring who you are and the way you want to do things even when you feel constricted by the things you 'have to do' and the predetermined ways things have to be done (Ex. teaching specific content, enforcing school classroom policies, etc). As for respect, be yourself and genuinely get to know your students. Some behaviors have zero tolerance, some behaviors take time to curb through conversations and restorative practices, some behaviors can be avoided with lessons that allow for flexibility. It's all about building mutual respect and trust, which doesn't happen instantly in any relationship.  

Logan Holladay Logan Holladay 395 Points

I am becoming a new teacher as well! I am very interested in all advice and tools I can get. I am super excited about teaching however am a little worried about handling misbehavior. I see news every day about a teacher handling misbehavior the wrong way and losing their jobs. I am excited to get started! 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers