Forums

Forums / Chemistry / virtual labs vs. actual labs

Chemistry

virtual labs vs. actual labs

Author Post

Are the benefits of virtual labs the same as actually doing the experiment in person? Students seem to have more fun doing an experiment than just watching one through a screen, but with limited resources virtual labs are better. 

Hunter Gerhardt Hunter Gerhardt 615 Points

Stephanie,

I am a student at Wartburg College finishing up my Elementary Education degree. As somebody who has gone through virtual chemistry and biology labs when we were sent home during COVID, I do see the benefits of being able to go through a lab virtually. If a student misses that day or if they want to go back and do the lab again, they will have the opportunity to do so with a virtual lab. I also think that virtual labs can allow students to do labs that would be too dangerous for them in person. Overall, doing experiments and labs in person will be a better experience for the students and be more memorable for them, but having access to virtual labs as a backup is very beneficial. 

Lily Aulwes Lily Aulwes 735 Points

Hello Stephanie, I am a preservice teacher at Wartburg College. I really enjoyed thinking about your questions. Personally, I think there are many benefits to both virtual and in-person labs. The first thing I want to mention is that virtual labs are a great way for students to experience labs that may be too expensive or dangerous for students to do in the classroom. You can also find more in-depth labs for students. I think a great way to incorporate both virtual and in-person labs are by having students run through a virtual lab before going in and doing it themselves. This gives them a preview of what it is that they are doing and sets expectations for the lab. This allows for students to see what the ending result of the experiment should be without just flat-out telling them. It also is a great way to get students thinking about the lab and wanting to go and try it on their own. You could have students watch virtual labs and come up with (approved) modifications to change the result of the experiment. This will allow students to apply those HOTS learning opportunities. I think the best way to use virtual and in-person labs is by using them together! This was a great question! Good Luck and I hope this answered your question.

Michelle Schmahl Michelle Schmahl 265 Points

Hello,

I think virtual labs can be helpful if they are done correctly and are needed to replace actual labs.  I have used virtual labs and found that a few of the features were not necessary or some calculations needed to proceed forward were incorrect by the manufacturer.  Company was called and the issue was addressed, but still a lot of my students including myself lost the momentum with the online virtual labs past this point.  it was hard to get them motivated to continue with the virtual labs.

Gary Schiltz Gary Schiltz 270 Points

Hello,

Science is a hands-on process. I think virtual labs have a place after a hands-on activity has been completed. I watched a lesson where the instructor was using a virtual lab to show Rutherford's experiment. What this and other virtual labs don't do is get the students in the lab to get their hands dirty first in the lab. When I taught chemistry and the probability of where to find the 1s orbital electron, I wrote the modeling lab titled, 'The Wave Mechanical Model of the 1s Orbital Electron.' Students rolled dice to determine the probability of where to find the 1s orbital electron. This then could be followed up with a virtual lab or computer simulation as reinforcement.

Before doing a virtual modeling lab, every effort should be given to creating a hands-on lab before doing a virtual lab when possible. This is especially true after Covid.

Gary Schiltz

Attachments

Laura Taylor Laura Taylor 770 Points

I agree that hands-on labs are best for science students but virtual labs can be beneficial in certain circumstances beyond virtual learning. They might be used to practice prior to a real lab, use equipment that might not be available in the school lab, or to avoid safety issues (Ex. labs involving blood testing or pathogenic bacteria). I find that using a combination of mostly hands-on labs with a few virtual labs integrated with purpose during the course provides variety for students and gives them experiences that they may not be able to have in the real lab. 

Haley Owens Haley Owens 430 Points

As a preservice teacher, I loved the idea of virtual labs but was unsure of how much to implement them in the classroom. After reading your comments and research, I think it's safe to say that I will do hands-on labs as long as we have the resources and proper safety equipment. I will save virtual labs for if the students are unfamiliar with dangerous equipment or if the lab itself seems dangerous. I may also use them as a resource if students are absent for actual labs. Thanks everyone for your insight!

Charlotte Cole Charlotte 10 Points

Hello! As you rightly noticed, as a student, I find it more interesting to participate in the experiment in person. Unless it's some really complex and dangerous experiments, but then it depends on how well the simulator is designed, whether it can account for all parameters. Maybe my imagination is better than that of the creator of this simulator, and I'll do something that they didn't anticipate.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers