Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Elementary eTextbooks

Elementary Science

Elementary eTextbooks

Author Post
Eric CROMWELL Eric Cromwell 495 Points

We are developing etext materials for elementary science. Does anyone have good sources for elementary science content? There is plenty of secondary content but little for K-5. Science happens here as well.

We are developing etext materials for elementary science. Does anyone have good sources for elementary science content? There is plenty of secondary content but little for K-5. Science happens here as well.

Sara Kinyon Sara Kinyon 2100 Points

I don't know what kind of content you're looking for but discovery education is great! Sara

I am familiar with Discovery Education and Science. My problem is finding content appropriate at multiple reading levels per grade.

I am familiar with Discovery Education and Science. My problem is finding content appropriate at multiple reading levels per grade.

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Eric wrote: We are developing etext materials for elementary science. Does anyone have good sources for elementary science content? There is plenty of secondary content but little for K-5. Science happens here as well.

Hi Eric,

What type of materials are you looking to develop? Two great documents to find science content are the A Framework for K-12 Science Education and the National Science Education Standards. Both of these documents outline the content that is taught at each grade level.

Maureen

The content is not the problem. We have a good grasp of that. We are trying to create leveled (ie reading levels) materials. Primary grades make it complicated to find content at appropriate reading levels.

The content is not the problem. We have a good grasp of that. We are trying to create leveled (ie reading levels) materials. Primary grades make it complicated to find content at appropriate reading levels.

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Hi Eric,

As an elementary teacher, tying literacy to science is one of my favorite cross-curricular connections! I've attached a collection of elementary trade book resources to this post. The collection contains the NSTA Outstanding Trade Books lists from 1998-2011 and links to 3 books from NSTA press that effectively link literacy to science. Another great resource is Roots of Reading Seeds of Science. I have developed several units that integrate literacy and science curriculums from the K-6 level (for instance using The Little Engine That Could to teach push and pull to kinder) and for integrating poetry and science. Just let me know if you'd like me to forward those along to you as well.

Best of luck! This sounds like a great project!

Maureen

Elementary Trade Book Resources Collection (16 items)
Gwyn Bray Gwyn Bray 3540 Points

Force ferries has some awesome resources, a resource called taks toppers is also another Greg literary resource for elementary science.

Kathy Renfrew Kathy Renfrew 37148 Points

Eric, Maybe the Common Core in ELA will help you then. The expectation is that ALL students will read the same complex text aspart of their instruction. Using science content would be a good area to do that with as science oftens motivates students to perform at higher academic levels. Just something to think about. If you want to know more about this..let me know. ..I will try to find some help with this. Kathy

Saba Polakovic Saba Polakovic 1330 Points

Hi, Many months later... I agree, there are many wonderful iPad apps for elementary-aged students which make great learning tools. The common issue I come across when talking to other teachers about mobile learning in the elementary classroom, especially lower elementary, is that it's usually only the teacher who has an iPad, the students don't. Therefore, the device/app is then used as a whole group teaching tool. I think the idea of an eTextbook for k-6 is a interesting. To me, when there is a strong technology component in the classroom & curriculum there also needs to be a strong hands-on art/kinesthetic complement as well, especially in the lower elementary grade levels. I wonder how Eric is doing with his project - does anyone know?

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers