Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Living and Nonliving things

Elementary Science

Living and Nonliving things

Author Post
Michelle Rodriguez Michelle Rodriguez 710 Points

I am currently creating a lesson plan on living and nonliving things where the students must be able to understand that living things need food, water and air. What would be a fun activity to do with this first grade class?

Sandra Lundy Sandra Lundy 1605 Points

I am a student teacher and I have taught this lesson in my cooperating teacher's classroom. I figured out that they pretty much know what living and non-living things are, they just need help identifying what makes them living and non-living. I chose to do an activity where they are comparing the two with the specific attributes. Activities: Recording sheet with sorting cards. After introducing what makes something living and non-living, have the students (in groups?) sort what they have just figured out on a recording sheet with some sort of T-Chart on it. Collage T-Chart. Have the students search through magazines and cut out pictures of living and non-living things and place them on construction paper that is folded in half with some sort of labeling. These are just a few activities you may could use with your kindergartners. I hope this helps.

Kathy Renfrew Kathleen Renfrew 37148 Points

So the concept of living and non-living things would be found as part of the following two Kindergarten core ideas: Living things need water, air, and resources from the land, and they live in places that have the things they need. Humans use natural resources for everything they do. (K-ESS3-1) and All animals need food in order to live and grow. They obtain their food from plants or from other animals. Plants need water and light to live and grow. (K-LS1-1) Thinking about it like that students need to understand the difference between living and non-living things as part of instruction to meet the above described standards. So what type of investigations need to be done so students learn the difference between the two different categories.One set of learning activities can be found here: http://www.pbslearningmedia.org/resource/tdc02.sci.life.colt.lp_living/living-vs-nonliving/' A second site is http://www.kindergartenkindergarten.com/2012/03/a-science-mini-unit-living-and-non-living.html As we transition to NGSS it is important that knowing whether something is living or no-living is important as we try to meet the earlier mentioned K tandards. The activities have very little meaning if they are used as stand alone activities. This was an eye opener for me. Kathy

Alexandra Catena Alexandra Catena 985 Points

One fun thing that I just saw the teacher I'm observing do with the students that they liked to show living and non living things was planting a seed and a marble and watering both everyday and putting them both in the sun. After a couple days it was clear that the seed was growing and the marble was not. Another fun thing she did was to bring in living and non living examples of things (EX: A flower, a fish, etc.)

Bonnie Irwin Bonnie Irwin 1520 Points

I saw a really cool living non living lesson in my student teaching experience. It's always interesting to hear what other teachers do. These are great ideas. Thanks for sharing.

I saw a really cool living non living lesson in my student teaching experience. It's always interesting to hear what other teachers do. These are great ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Adilene Trevizo Adilene Trevizo 1465 Points

I found very fun and engaging living and non-living activities. It is intended for Kindergarden but can be modified for first grade with higher-level and above level activities. http://www.kindergartenkindergarten.com/2012/03/a-science-mini-unit-living-and-non-living.html

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers