Forums

Forums / STEM / NXT Lego Robotics and STEM

STEM

NXT Lego Robotics and STEM

Author Post
Ryan Towata Ryan Towata 3340 Points

Last year I was fortunate enough to get 16 NXT Lego Robotics kits to help me with incorporating STEM teaching in my classroom. My students were able to go through the entire common palette in the programming guide and then move on to tacking the Green City Challenge where they needed to be creative, imaginative, and innovative learners and solve real-world problems. They were able to do these in two weeks before the end of school. This year I have a whole year to use my NXT Kits to help the students understand STEM concepts. Do you have any suggestions on how the students should record and document their learning. I video-taped many of their accomplishments and the successes and failures. They were proud because they could see what they were able to complete. I want to have more evidence of STEM in action and I need some ideas of how to document the students successes and failures in a composition book or notebook and so they have something to share with my colleagues and their peers. Let me know if you have any suggestions! Thank you, Ryan

Joy Agard Joy Agard 2190 Points

Hi Ryan, I was one of the First Lego League coaches at our school last year and only documented success through digital photography and recordings. If I were to do it again, I would have students use a Reflections Journal in which they would write what they learned, what they accomplished, how they displayed "coopertition", and what they will do next time to progress toward their goal. I'm currently using this technique to get students to think about their thinking in math. Although our team lost funding, I still plan on incorporating NXT Lego Robotics into our classroom because it is a great way to teach STEM. I will definitely keep following this thread to see what ideas others share. Thank you for posting, Joy Agard

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Hi Ryan,

As Joy stated, using reflection notebooks is a great idea for helping your students evaluate how they are meeting their learning goals, identifying successes and failures, and identifying ways to improve on their designs. Another idea is to use a blog. Using a blog would enable your students to record their thoughts and ideas, while incorporating digital photos and videos. There are several benefits for using a blog to record student work. Using a STEM blog helps improve students' technical writing skills. In addition, students begin to learn how to incorporate multi-media resources to enhance their writing. Using blogs also enables students are able to share their accomplishments with their families from home. There are several blogs that have been especially developed for use in classrooms to ensure student security and safety. Here's a link to an NSTA Forum discussion about Using Blogs in Classrooms.

Good Luck with your STEM program this year! It sounds like a great program!!

Maureen

Thank you so much Maureen and Joy. I love the idea of the reflection journals. We have been tackling many problems as the students work through their goals in the common palette. They have also been having trouble with the basics of working together in a group. I think I will use the reflection journals to help them document their failures and successes as well as reflect about which Habits of Mind (Dr. Art Costa) they are using in their groups and the problems that can arise with working with others. The students need to know how important it is to work together collaboratively and effectively. As for the blog, I would love to do that to but I think I will have to take things one step at a time. Thank you both for such great ideas!

Update: My students have been writing in the journal for the past two days and I've gotten great insights in their group work. They are still on the initial programming but the most important thing from the journal entries is their ability to work collaboratively and work well as a team. Soon they will be finishing up their initial programs and then start programming and creating on their own. Thank you again for all your help. I will ask more questions when we get further along.

Patricia Rourke Patricia Rourke 45925 Points

Hello Everyone, Vernier has several engineering programs and some curriculum manuals devoted to using the NXT interface and robotics. You may view some of the engineering ideas through this portal; http://www.vernier.com/engineering/lego-nxt/ Three curriculum manuals are discussed on the Vernier website and you may download free pdfs of the labs: STEM with Vernier and LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT http://www.vernier.com/products/books/stem/ (18 activities are available) STEM 2 with Vernier and LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT http://www.vernier.com/products/books/stem2/ (20 activities are available) There also is a video library that may be of interest: http://www.vernier.com/training/videos/ Choose what is of interest to you and follow the link to the training videos and some that you can also use in your class. ~patty

Thanks Patty. My students will be creating gardens and I wanted to see how to integrate the NXT kits with that. Maybe the soil sensor would be a good investment for a few of my kits. Great links!

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Ryan,

Thanks for the update on your journals. It's great to hear that the journals are successful! As I was reading through the forums, I found several ongoing discussions that have great ideas about using journal/notebooks in science classes.

Science Notebook Idea Collection
Science Interactive Notebooks
Science Notebooking or Journaling
Technology Blended Notebooks

Maureen

Maureen, Thank you again for the links to the other forums on journals. I've been talking to our STEM resource teachers here in Hawaii and they love the idea of journals to help the students document their successes and failures and everything they have learned. I feel that it is a great tool for our students. I will definitely incorporate them in my work with our NXT kits and integrating them with STEM! Thank you again. Ryan

Chris Campbell Chris Campbell 2330 Points

Ryan, Forgive me if I missed it but what grade(s) do you teach? I bought 2 NXT and several of the BOE-Bot packages and I am following your progress intently. I teach 7th and 8th-grades and want to incorporate more engineering design and programming. Thanks

Hey Chris, I teach 4th grade and I use the NXT kits to supplement my science. They are documenting the work in journals and my class will be working on the Green City Challenge activities soon. They will then have to take their knowledge from the Common Palette and apply what they learned and create their own robot and program that will successful accomplish each challenge. Let me know how things go with your 7th graders. Ryan

Chris Campbell Chris Campbell 2330 Points

I will and I love the idea of the journals. I am serving as an Einstein fellow at NSF this year, but will have the plan ready to go when I get back to the classroom next year. I also plan to visit as many classrooms as I can in the DC area to see any other robotics programs that are working. Best wishes for the school year!

Sandy Gady Sandy Gady 43175 Points

I agree with Joy and Maureen in regards to writing reflections. I would focus on the higher level thinking questions and put the onus on the students – ask them what they should be writing on. Immediately you will see how students have grown in their learning by how they identify their own growth. If they say, “ I learned how to put together a robot from a picture,” they are clearly telling you they are able to duplicate what they see, are having fun doing it, but they are not making the connection as to the purpose for the activity. However, if they are able to talk about gear ratios, rate of change, inputs and outputs of the system, they are showing a higher level of understanding of concepts as well as integration of Math and Science. I generally find when I ask the students to define what they think their learning is, or why it is important, they amaze me. Sometimes I think we ask them questions that are too close ended and don’t really get at what we want them to tell us about their learning. One of my favorite activities is to print off 3 x 5’s of the photos I’ve taken, give them to students and ask them to reflect on the learning they were engaged in at that moment, the learning that is occurring around them, as well as asking, “I wonder …” questions that would lead them to think about how they could better enhance their learning. There are times I will put together a collection of photos from across my periods and ask them to comment on the learning, the level of engagement and to identify the evidence that learning is occurring. After doing this once or twice, I find my students are more likely to stay engaged throughout an activity because they want to be a part of the collage. I have a rule in my class, I generally don’t take a photo of you unless you are engaged in learning. Rarely do I have the smiley face, look at me photos Another favorite is to take the photos and send them via email as attachments to parents with the subject line, “Just thought you’d like to see …”. Parents love this positive interaction from the teacher to the parent showing their child being successful. I usually don’t add anything else to the email because it forces the parents to ask questions of their child about what they were doing in the photo. Parents then ask lots of questions about the activity forcing the students to explain what they are doing and why. I have a lot more parent support throughout the year because I took the time to share when their child was doing something right instead of always hearing from the school when they were doing something wrong.

Randall Shinn Randall Shinn 510 Points

Wow! I'm impressed with all that you guys have accomplished in your classroom with the NXT kits! I just started a team for my school to compete in the FLL league competition and your discussion has provided me with great insights! keep up the great work!

Update: My fourth graders are now working on the Green City Challenge. They are working on activating a windmill with the NXT robots and putting a solar panel on a house. They were able to solve many of their programming problems on their own and many groups asked their peers in other groups for help. I did not help any of the groups with any of their problems. I'm so excited to see what my 4th graders will design, test, build and accomplish with the new challenges. We will be taking journal entries and reflecting on what Habits of Mind helped them accomplish their goals. I will keep you all informed. Thanks for all your help and advice everyone!

Philip Anderson Philip Anderson 1030 Points

Ryan, Just a thought, to show evidence of students using the NXTs guide them through a research investigation that will allow students to use the sensors to collect data. The data then be analyzed and used to support or not support a hypothesis created by the student. Sensors for determining the concentration of pH, carbon dioxide, and oxygen can be used in biological investigations. The accelerometer, sound, and color light sensors could be applied to physical science concepts. And the ultrasonic sensor could be used for math applications.

Hal Crimm Hal Crimm 10 Points

Hello All, I found this site while conducting searches on LEGO applications for STEM in elementary education. I am not an educator but do work for a company that encourages STEM development and donates much time, personnel and money to help students in K-12. I am also finishing my Masters project regarding the STEM gap in elementary education and the effects of this on their future. Biography complete, I will be bringing the LEGO WEDO and NXT into the local 4th grade classroom this fall. I will mostly use the WEDO sets and am very encouraged about the use of progress journals. Are their any curriculum recommendations you can share that will make the WEDO program as successful and what you have described for the NXT. If I should have started a new thread, I apologize and will find a way to do that if necessary. Hal

Hi Philip, Thank you for the great advice. I will be working on getting the sensors for my NXT kits and then I will use your great ideas and have them work through projects to gather the data so they are able to learn and understand how to use the sensors and what type of information can be gathered through the sensors. Thank you again. Ryan

Alyce Dalzell Alyce Dalzell 64075 Points

Hello,
I have been using my LegoMindstorm NXT kits for several years with my alternative 6-8 grade students and have gained several tips and links to extend student thinking and design.

I have recently been trained and received kits for the US Navy Sponsored, underwater robot SeaPerch'. The area competition is coming up very quickly - October 27. Although I want my students to complete the SeaPerch construction - I would also like the students to apply their learning to real life situations and construct underwater demo areas that are relevant to future learning.

Has anyone used the kits in their classrooms? There isn't a curriculum or set of lessons that the SeaPerchdirectors have provided - are any of you aware of lessons - or possibly you have developed SeaPerch lessons that you would be willing to share?

Thank you! Alyce

Alyce, Are your students going to share their data globally and access that shared by others, such as in the original MIT SeaPerch program? It seems to me that given your excellent teaching skills, you easily could guide your students to use your innovative kits in their more traditional data gathering and analysis lessons and perhaps extend their interest into ocean water quality or water quality and environmental issues. What did the teachers discuss who trained in the program with you? What brainstorming ideas do you have to share with us and to titillate others to join the program? Please share and thanks a bunch. patty

Hi Alyce, Those SeaPerch kits and plans look awesome. That is something I would definitely look into getting for my NXT kits. I would love to try and use them in the Pacific Ocean as well if they are compatible with sea water. I guess that would be my next grant application for next year. This year I'm hoping to get the Vernier probes for my kits but we shall see. I could create a whole Unit plan for studying the ocean here in Hawaii. I hope those SeaPerch kits can take on seawater. I will research it more but thank you so much for sharing what you are doing and keep us updated. Ryan

Susanne Hokkanen Susanne Hokkanen 79520 Points

Wow! So many great topics, I am not sure where to start ~ First, I love interactive notebooks, and I use them in my science classes. I wonder if it could help students become more reflective on their learning through the use of interactive science notebooks. Within an interactive notebook, the right-side is used for data collection and/or teacher type of notes, and the left-side is used for student output - or students' thoughts on what is being learned or analysis of data/notes. Also, my first exposure to "SeaPerch" was at the NSTA National Conference at Indy. I had forgotten about that opportunity until I read this discussion. I am also interested in investigating the SeaPerch opportunities. Please continue to update us on your student's progress with the NXT kits. I am very interested in incorporating more technology within my lesson plans, and this sounds like a great platform! Thank you for sharing.

We just recently received a grant to have two robotics teams at my school. I am excited to see the variety of ways the NXT kits are being used. I have never heard of SeaPerch Alyce. Do you have any specific links to lesson plans or ideas? I was not able to attend the Indy conference, so would be interested in links if you or Sue have them. I will do a Google search, but you guys always have the best resources, I thought I'd ask as well. Life just keeps getting better as a Science/Design and Engineering teacher.

Alyce Dalzell Alyce Dalzell 64075 Points

Hi,
My middle and high school students have become completely engaged in their SeaPerch underwater robot construction! The competition is allowing groups to personalize their entries to represent their schools and make them unique in appearance.

The SeaPerch program provides students with the opportunity to learn about robotics, engineering, science, and mathematics (STEM) while building an underwater ROV (Remotely Operated Vehicle) as part of a science and engineering technology curriculum.

I have found that MIT's SeaPerch curriculum to be one of the most encompassing. Several programs have used MIT's materials as their base starting point.

We contacted the area Navy Recruiter and have been thrilled with the resources they are providing to our students! A sailor spoke to our students about the evolving use of robotics in the civilian world that has been supported by military research. The office has also helped us locate present and past Naval Engineers to mentor our students.

SeaPerch underwater navigation practice takes place in a pool that we purchased through Amazon.com - great closeout prices during the fall!

I will keep you all posted as our STEM adventure continues! Thank you for your enthusiasm and questions, Alyce

Hi Hal, I began my lego robotics adventures with my middle school Design and Engineering students with the WeDo kits because so many of my students have never had the opportunity to do anything with legos let alone robotics. They really liked the projects because they were able to learn how to read the schematics, do the programming and make them work efficiently within a short period of time. As it so happened, our Science program was beginning a whole new program with the NXT robots, and it was amazing how easy it was for my DE students to adapt what they learned from the WeDo kits to the next level. Obviously the use of sensors made my students absolutely bonkers with excitement. I think by starting them with the WeDo’s gave them the confidence to go ahead and take higher risks with their programming at the next level and gave them the ability to be more successful at the next level. We began our robotics club tonight, and I was thrilled to see over half of the room filled with girls that couldn’t wait to be on the school’s First Lego League team. I do believe the progression of learning from the WeDo to the NXT kits gave them the confidence to try out for the actual competition teams. One girl even said, “I can’t be here for the actual competition date because of a conflict, but can I still come and learn and help the teams that will be competing in whatever way I can?” Heart be still, and yes, I am doing a happy dance.

Philip Anderson Philip Anderson 1030 Points

Hi All, The Sea Perch program sounds very exciting, I can see it being attractive to a variety of students. It will allow many students to be exposed to design, electricity, science, building, and management. I would definetly like to be able to provide my students with the opportunity to build a sea pearch and then use the machine in the field to collect data. Perhaps get sponsorships for students to collect water quality data. Lots of potential. Great project! Thanks for the sea perch information.

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

Ethemes from the University of Missouri has a page on robitics resources for elementary and middle school http://ethemes.missouri.edu/themes/600?locale=en

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

While not exactly Lego Robots, Nova will have a program on Drones airing on January 23rd Drones are aerial robots Here is the link http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/military/rise-of-the-drones.html

Well here we are for an update. We survived our lego robotics competition. Our team placed 11th out of 40. What an exhausting day. This was our first attempt at competition and there were so many lessons learned. What I appreciated the most about the competition was the event where the students were given a task and had 10 minutes to solve the task. In this instance they were told they needed to build a given object. The judges watched for how well they worked as a team, collaboration, encouragement and brainstorming ideas. While the students loved the actual robot competitions, they felt they did the best in the morning sessions where they did the presentations of their research and work as a team. While overall it was a very tiring day, the level of excitement in the room was incredible. Next year we will begin a whole lot earlier.

Today, January 28, is Lego's Birthday. Wow!

Sandy, You and your students earned congratulations. As Adah indicated, you approached the top quadrant which is excellent for first timers. What phun as you and your students brainstorm on how the day went and what you and other students may do to improve your chances for subsequent years. I once took the very first all-girls team to a rigorous Physics Olympics day sponsored by the University of Maryland. We were a bit clueless about the competition but we did well and make the local papers!! Go Girls!!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers