Forums

Forums / Informal Science / Ecouraging parents to support science learning outside of the classroom

Informal Science

Ecouraging parents to support science learning outside of the classroom

Author Post
Sarah Pack Sarah Pack 254 Points

I find that many students struggle with science because it is difficult and also they have no one to turn at home when they struggle with science. As a teacher, I can only help them so much, but if they are studying at home or completeing homework, most parents aren't fluent enough in science to help. What are some ways that I can encourge parents to participate in science activities with their children? 

Camillia Ledbetter Camillia Ledbetter 960 Points

Sarah,

It might be interesting to challenge students to teach the content at home! Have the students create some sort of teaching component (diagram, sketchnotes, worksheet) and challenge them to teach the content to a family member. After all, teaching is one of the best learning tools. Then, maybe they could take it a step further with a science activity at home.

Sidney Baumgartner Sidney Baumgartner 335 Points

Hi Sarah! I think that this is also a concern for my future classroom. Engaging parents in their student's learning is a so important. One thing that I have seen in one of my field experiences is my teacher would use the application SeeSaw to send parents information and videos on what the classroom was doing. This can allow parents to see what you are doing and allows you to share their child's work. Something else that I have seen my peer, who is a first-year teacher this year, do is send a message to five student's parents to tell them how their student is doing. This means a lot to them and can encourage them to interact with their student at home about what they have been working on. I think one misconception that teachers can do a better job at is getting the idea that science is hard out of student's minds. This can defeat their confidence right away. Our students are so much smarter than we think and allowing them to know that science is full of trial and error is crucial for a more positive attitude towards science. As for parents, sending things home (like keys or videos) can be useful. Remember, we only can do so much, but continue to help these students and love them up!

-Sidney Baumgartner, preservice teacher at Wartburg College

Gina Hopperstad Gina Hopperstad 565 Points

Sending home an easy recipe for cookies or brownies and encouraging students to ask their parents for help is a fun way to teach about chemical changes. 

Kyli Bumbray Kyli Bumbray 1708 Points

Sarah,

I completely agree with what you are saying! Science is not a subject that many people love or think that they can successfully do, so it is hard to get people (parents) to engage in science if they do not have to. I think one way to get parents involved is to send out a calendar of science activites that you will be doing in the classroom and maybe having an open door policy where they can engage in the science if they want to. Along with this you could send directions home with the kids based on activities done in the class so they can show their parents how it is done, or the parents can decide to do it for themselves. It is hard to find involvment outside of the class but hopefully these ways are a start.

Lily Albertson Lily Albertson 530 Points

I think making it fun for all parties involved is key here. It could be as simple as them baking a cake to show chemical changes. Both the parents and students are stressed at a time like this so it is good to get some lightness in the atmosphere. I like what Kyli suggested about having the kids show the parents the activity. It requires minimal effort on the parent's part and also allows the students to express their knowledge on the topic at hand. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers