Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Using Technology When Students Are Absent

General Science and Teaching

Using Technology When Students Are Absent

Author Post
Patricia Rourke Patricia Rourke 45925 Points

Hello Everyone, While having a conversation with a colleague on the use of technology in science education and distance learning, I became curious about how classroom teachers,K-12, use technology with students who are absent. What do you do when students are absent from class and/or from a lab or hands-on investigation? How do you use technology to help students stay in touch with their studies? Are there strategies and methods that you have found to be particularly supportive of inquiry? Patty

LeRoy Attles LeRoy Attles 56550 Points

Wow!! That is amazing that teachers would create a podcast or record a class so that a students who was absent would not miss a class. I usually just summarize the previous day's lesson and give the student the work that was missed.

Susanne Hokkanen Susanne Hokkanen 79520 Points

Since most of my lessons are hands-on - activities, role-playing, labs and demonstrations - I am not sure that video-taping or recording the day's lesson would be beneficial. However, I have encouraged students to complete work on several different websites to enhance their learning. Of course the website is determined by the content area we are working on. Here are a few: sciencespot.net and middleschoolscience.com with specific weblinks and sometimes worksheets for them to investigate and complete...either in or out of school. And of course, to help them prepare for the state ISAT test, I encourage them to use Study Island whenever they can. I am looking forward to reading other responses to this thread to hopefully gain some insight or ideas on how to better use technology when students are absent. Sue

Al Byers Albert Byers 4498 Points

All I agree that watching podcasts of teacher lectures are not a replacement for hands-on, inquiry-based learning with students. That said, I could see the value for students in certain instances, where if they are absent from the classroom, and if during that absence, teachers have facilitated lecture demonstrations, it may be worthwhile for them to watch a video-enhanced podcast of a teacher lead-in for certain science concepts, or a make-up lab. If you would compare it to the alternative, which might be conducting the make-up work without the ability to watch and listen to the prior discussion or observe the teacher demonstration, watching a podcast of the same may be better than missing it altogether. Don't get me wrong. I am not an advocate of passively watching talking-head videos as a replacement for collaborative social discourse, critical thinking, and hands-on learning experiences (which may involve the use of technology), I'm just offering a counterpoint, where podcasts of missed lecture/demos could be of value, even for those that were not absent, providing a way for students to review the material after the fact. Brief lecture/demonstrations have their place in teacher-facilitated learning. I do not have the exact citations, but there have been a few studies (undergraduate), where students benefited from having access to review of lecture/demonstrations, and these were used to enhance asynchronous student online discussion--and found to be beneficial. Finally, I attended the COSN K-12 summit (cosn.org), where a high school teacher had created lecture/demo podcasts and a student team lauded their value. Another very worthwhile application obviously is to facilitate student-created podcasts/blogs/videos where the media may provide engaging ways for them to internalize and communicate results from certain projects, experiments, etc. See an interesting article titled “Engage Me or Enrage Me” http://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/ERM0553.pdf Below is an abstract and citation for further reading if interested: Web 2.0 and its associated applications and tools have, in many areas, brought about and are continuing to bring about significant shifts in the way people communicate, create, and share information. Pervasive access to broadband Internet connectivity and communication services has created new forms of relationships and patterns of communicating and learning. The expanding lexicon of Web 2.0 applications (podcasts, web logs, wikis, mashups, etc.) signal changes in the learning landscape, where learners are active participants, creators of knowledge, and seekers of engaging, personal experiences. In what has been called a culture of participation, the line separating consumers and producers of content is becoming blurred and we are witnessing a new wave of “prosumers,” very often learners, who are actively creating and sharing content and ideas. By adopting an innovative learning paradigm that the authors call Pedagogy 2.0, teaching and learning strategies can enable greater engagement of learners in shaping the education they receive through participatory choice, personal voice, and ultimately, “co-production.” Citation: McLoughlin, C., & Lee, M. J. W. (2008). The 3 P's of pedagogy for the networked society: Personalization, participation, and productivity. International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, 20(1), 10-27.

Kathy Sparrow Kathy Sparrow 47692 Points

Al,

FYI -- I tried to access your article: See an interesting article titled “Engage Me or Enrage Me” http://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/ERM0553.pdf. I got a 'Page Not Found' message.

I would be interested in reading the article if you find it again.

Kathy

Al Byers Albert Byers 4498 Points

Kathy Apologies about the URL. I included a "period" at the end of the URL for grammar's sake, and made the link not work. Try this: http://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/ERM0553.pdf I also corrected in original post.

Jennifer Rahn Jennifer Rahn 67955 Points

Good idea. Another thing I tried last year was to make the Jason Project Infinite Potential curriculum available to students who were leaving for an extended period to visit family outside the country. The simulations are all online, and if you use their materials, the unit materials are as well. Students could still compete in the online roller coaster game against their friends back at school, and there is a utility to add work and comments to keep your students up to date. I wanted to use this to expand my curriculum to encourage the students to do work at home, but the complaint of the administration was that some students do not have access to computers at home, and therefore would be at a disadvantage. It seems natural to allow students to continue to experiment after the end of the school day, and they were extremely engaged in the lab. Has anyone else tried this or any of the other Jason modules?

Attachments

Amanda Rogers Amanda Rogers 115 Points

Hello, As a coach who travels a lot with my high school teams (currently working as a sub and finishing my degree in secondary education and biology) I am often left dealing with students who miss lectures, disections, and class time in general. I have found websites such as NASA, sciencebuddies.org, and http://www.khanacademy.org/ to help my student athletes at least get more than just the worksheet they missed in class. I do know of a few teachers who do record and make podcasts and post any powerpoint presentations with voice recording that they use in class online for the students to review. Amanda Rogers Mannheim, Germany

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Like many of the other posters, I agree that technology is not a substitute for hands-on experiences, however I have had some success with using online simulations like UC Boulder's PhET program to help students who either miss a class demo or lab, or who need extra instruction to help them understand a concept. I also use interactive whiteboard technology in my class. Using this technology enables me to record the lesson (ie, what I write on the board, the websites we visit, etc). I publish the recording to our class website (via chalkboard) so students can review the lessons. This is a valuable tool for students who miss class or want to review what was said during class.

Maureen

Elizabeth Dalzell-Wagers Elizabeth Dalzell 9945 Points

Hi Group, It is almost Wednesday! I think there has been a lot of positive ideas throughtout this discussion. I am in the process of creating voicethreads for when I or my students are absent. My principal is in LOVE with the idea. What's awesome is you can upload you PowerPoints into the program, and then place your voice, draw, point etc... throughout the presentation. You can get a free single membership... Thanks Liz

Ruth Hutson Ruth Hutson 64325 Points

Elizabeth wrote, 'I am in the process of creating voicethreads for when I or my students are absent. My principal is in LOVE with the idea. What's awesome is you can upload you PowerPoints into the program, and then place your voice, draw, point etc... throughout the presentation. You can get a free single membership...'

Hi Liz,
Can you give some more information on voicethreads? During the spring, I have students who miss several days a week because school activities. I need to have something in place so they can keep up with the rest of the class.

Thanks, Ruth

Angie Fairweather Angelika Fairweather 12180 Points

It is fantastic to see so many educators going above and beyond to insure the success of their students! For our physical science class, the students must pass a county proficiency test at the end of each semester. For a middle school student, a life time has passed between September and January. I have found videoing the labs to be a great tool for end of the semester review, as well as an aid for students who were not able to make up the lab. I actually rotated the students who would video (the Reporter), and had a student aid that would download it to the computer. I have not heard of voice thread, and would love to find out more! What are other technology solutions that can help for away students?

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers