Forums

Forums / Evaluation and Assessment / Formative Assessment and the NGSS

Evaluation and Assessment

Formative Assessment and the NGSS

Author Post
Page Keeley Page Keeley 4700 Points

Looking forward to seeing those of you who are taking the online short course on linking formative assessment to the NGSS. For those of you who will be in San Antonio, I will be doing 4 presentations: Thursday 12:30-1:30- Uncovering K-12 Students' (and Teachers') Ideas about Earth and Space Science Connected to the NGSS; Thursday 2:00-3:00- Uncovering K-2 Students' Ideas about Science (this will preview the new K-2 primary science book); Friday 12:30-1:30 Uncovering K-12 Students' (and Teachers') Ideas about Matter and Energy Connected to the NGSS (with my colleague, Joyce Tugel); Saturday 11-12:00 Uncovering K-12 Students' (and Teachers') Ideas about Life Science Connected to the NGSS. And don't forget I will also be offering one of the pedagogical seminars on formative assessment as part of the MIT MOOC for biology teachers. Hope to see several of you online or at some of my sessions or stop by the NSTA bookstore during my book signing.

I'd love to hear more from you about how you are using formative assessment whether it's with the books I have authored for NSTA Press or other strategies and resources you use or have developed. Please feel free to use this forum to engage others in discussion of this important topic around the essential question- 'How can we effectively use formative assessment to inform instruction and support learning for ALL students?'

Page

Mary Ann Ng Mary Ann Ng 3385 Points

Hi Page! I was not able to go to your talks in San Antonio. But hopefully, there will we a webinar in the future that I can attend ( will check later). Analysis of formative assessments tied to specific learning objectives serves as my starting point in terms of my whole instructional procedure ( planning, implementation, assessment, evaluation, reflection, planning). Every activity that I have in the class is attached to a formative assessment of a learning objective. I can not visualize how I can teach without this basis in mind.

Mary Ann Ng Mary Ann Ng 3385 Points

Thank you again Arlene:)

Leslie Burleson Leslie Burleson 160 Points

Does anyone know how the NGSS standards are to be tested?

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers