Forums

Forums / Life Science / H.S. Resource Biology

Life Science

H.S. Resource Biology

Author Post
Ashley Vandgrift Ashley Vandgrift 30 Points

I'm a brand new teacher, and I am currently the only all SpEd Biology teacher at my high school. I came to the school 3 weeks into the semester, and the teacher before me didn't really have the program organized. I haven't been able to get much guidance from either the SpEd or Science department on curriculum beyond "just sort of go along with what regular biology is doing" and was wondering if any of you had hints/tips for this kind of classroom. I want to make sure that my students are learning the curriculum, but at the same time, they are in the class because they aren't at a high enough level of functionality/comprehension to understand a lot of the material; I don't want to go over their heads or spend time teaching things that aren't as important as others in the curriculum. However, all of my kids are on diploma tracts and have to pass biology in order to graduate. If you know of any activities or resources that would be helpful to me, I would greatly appreciate all the help I can get!

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

Ashley

One of my favorite resources in action Bioscience. http://www.actionbioscience.org/

There is a wealth of educational resources

Maybe something there will help

When I taught inclusion biology we used books from AGS Globe as a resource for our students because it includes life science and biology level content at a much lower reading level. http://www.pcieducation.com/store/default.aspx?DepartmentId=57&CategoryId=20&TypeId=35 They have some ancillaries that include labs that are also easier to read. They gave me a great starting place and allowed my students to feel successful in reading a lab. I would contact them and ask for a sample copy of the book and materials before you purchase. It has been many years since I used them.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers