Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Family Science

Elementary Science

Family Science

Author Post
Taylor Price Taylor Price 220 Points

Hello! I know it is important to have families involved in the education of their children. I have heard of schools holding literacy nights, but I have not seen a school hold a family science or STEM night. I am sure these occur in some places, so I was just wondering if anyone had experienced success with these events? Did it help to let parents have more insight into what their child is learning in regards to science throughout the school year?

Matt Bobrowsky Matt Bobrowsky 6410 Points

I've conducted many family science nights.  Sometimes these were part of a larger activity of providing PD for teachers along with presentations for students and a family science night, where children, parents, siblings, etc., all learn together and then, hopefully continue the conversation at the dinner table and other times.  It's wonderful if we can get students talking about science outside the classroom.   One of my favorite family science night topics is astronomy, because it involves all of the other sciences that you might talk about -- physical science, i.e., physics, chemistry, and now even life science, as we discuss the possibility of life elsewhere in the universe, what life -- any life -- needs to survive, etc.  The real world is very interdisciplinary, and it's possible to bring in so much into one presentation.  Children and parents see real-world applications of many things that the children have been learning about. Their increased interest in science also leads to improved literacy skills, as they have something new to read about and communicate to others. In answer to your question, yes, the events were successful.  To get parents to have more insight into what their child is learning throughout the school year requires engaging parents repeatedly, in various ways, such as take-home assignments where children explore some phenomenon with their parents. I hope that helps. Matt

Gilberto Garcia Gilberto Garcia 1115 Points

I would like to add that at my school we also have an Astronomy Night. We have played with the names "Starry Night" and "Star Nigh Party." Anyways, my district in Los Angeles had bought this inflatable planetarium dome for schools to use. I didn't know this until a friend from another school told me about it.  Many times you have to make phone calls and send emails to district personal to find what is available. We also have a group called The Astronomical Society of LA (volunteers), they bring their telescopes to see the moon, stars, planets (if visible) We invite the whole family and community. It is a great turn out. You are able to make the connection to what you are teaching in the classroom and show families what we are learning. Every year we have families asking when we are having this again, because If they came last year, they want to come again and bring someone else. Like a said before, it takes time to find out what is available in your area. you never know until you do your search.  Gilberto

Angela Arends Angela Arends 835 Points

I did the same thing at my Middle School. You can borrow the planetarium from a local NASA ERC. You can also go through a training to borrow real lunar and meteorite samples- from NASA! I have also found that the Astronomical societies were very willing to volunteer their time and bring their knowledge and telescopes out to the schools. I called my night "Starry Night" as well. We did this for several years and had over 400 students and families in attendance.

Stephanie Sarmiento Stephanie Sarmiento 445 Points

One of the local schools in my neighborhood has done a STEM night and it was very successful. The students were able to show off on what they have been working on throughout the school year and the parents were having a blast.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers