Forums

Forums / New Teachers / ESL in the Science Classroom

New Teachers

ESL in the Science Classroom

Author Post
Bree Gryp Bree Gryp 355 Points

Hello, 

My name is Bree Gryp and I am a preservice teacher from Wartburg College! I have an endorsement in English as a Second Language and am interested in learning more about how I can help my ESL students in the science curriculum. I have been developing lesson plans for the general education science classroom, creating lesson objectives and aligning standards to assessments. I am working towards creating more lesson plans that can be used to teach ESL students. The challenge is making each lesson cross curricular with English, vocabulary, literacy and comprehension. I am looking for suggestions of ways to incorporate ESL into science lesson plans. I would be open to hearing any ideas of lesson plans that could be used to teach ESL and science.

Thank you so much in advance for your collaboration and responses.

Bree Gryp

Christy Dizonno Christy Dizonno 810 Points

Hi Bree-

I am currently studying elementary education and plan on receiving my English as a Second Language endorsement. I will be student teachcing this spring and am always looking for new ways to keep students engaged in the classroom. As far as ELL students, I have found that providing visuals and pictures is  extremely helpful for these students. The more hands on activities involved in the science curriculum, the more engaged the students tend to be. 

Bree Gryp Bree Gryp 355 Points

Hi Christy!

Thanks for responding, that is awesome that you are also studying ESL! I have also found that visuals are very beneficial for studnets learning English, and can be used in any lesson plan or activity. This also hits on Howard Gardners Theory of Multiple Intelligences, providing students with multiple modes of presenting information. 

You mentioned looking for new ways to keep students engaged. I think one of the best ways is connecting new learning with previous learning, or things that students are interested in. If students feel invested in the learning, they will be more willing and enjoy leanring more. 

Good luck with student teaching!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers