Forums

Physical Science

Physic

Author Post
Rena Paopao Rena Paopao 430 Points

I'm looking for information to teach sixth graders about energy waves. Any suggestions, websites, or apps that you can point me to.

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

I am attaching an article from Science & Children that I think will help you. I like this article for its simplicity in explaining wave energy in several easy activities. It starts off discussing ocean waves, but this leads into a basic discussion of waves that can apply to all types of waves.

Attachments

Science Shorts: Making Waves (Journal Article)

Betty, I read the article you attached. Mahalo. The article was informative and the lesson plan takes an abstract concept and teaches students at a concrete level. It is a science lesson that I can do in the classroom because it requires a minimal amount of attainable and affordable material. Thanks again.

Veralyn Ulep Veralyn Ulep 1010 Points

Wow, I never thought of having my students do the "stadium" wave to teach energy. I usually have them to do the wave for fun. I found that using jump ropes is also a great and an inexpensive way to show how energy waves move. The great thing about teaching physics content to my students is making it relatable to my students because physics is all around. The only thing that I found very difficult is teaching the vocabulary and terminology. For example, differentiating between kinesthetic and potential energy. So I'm wondering what would be an effective way to have students learn and use science vocabulary terms. Any suggestions?

A fun activity to help students to remember the difference between kinetic and potential energy is rolling a car, marble, or ball down a ramp. If a marble or ball is used, have a cup at the bottom of the ramp to catch the marble so that it doesn't travel across the room. They can compare different heights of the ramp or different mass of the cars by adding weight to the cars and measure the distance that the car travels.

Melissa Montoya Melissa Montoya 265 Points

I use the following website a lot. It does have many simulations across the board, but it is also fun to play around with. The first time my kids did a simulation, we worked on it together while I projected it on the screen. They really like how they can change variables depending on what the subject is. For most simulations, there is a webquest guide for them with questions/instructions for the students to follow along and fill out. http://phet.colorado.edu/

Veralyn Ulep Veralyn Ulep 1010 Points

Rena, Thank you for activity suggestion. I'll be sure to use it next quarter when I start teaching about energy. Melissa, Thank you for the website link and suggestion. I found the simulations interesting and simple! Simulations are a great way for students to visually see science happening without having to have buy all of the materials. I like that the simulations can change the variables and I think the questions/instructions provided with each simulation are very helpful. Thanks again.

Melissa thanks for the Phet simulation information. I found it extremely helpful when explaing abstract concepts to students.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers