Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / About misconceptions

Elementary Science

About misconceptions

This topic discusses these resources

Author Post
Wei Jia Wei Jia 1180 Points

I think a good method of correct the misconception is just show students the different distance between sun and earth in different time of model. Teacher can also mention it during class. Or we can use assessment like quiz or questions let them learn about it. 

Richard Lahti Richard Lahti 3100 Points

I disagree.

A) This does not answer the original post which is about what can we do with a globe - mentioning it in class or using a quiz is not using a globe.

B) If you are trying to teach about something like the seasons with relation to position of the sun and earth, the differences in distance between apogee and perigee are so small as to be meaningless.  What might be meaningful as a descrepent event, especially where I live in Minnesota, is to show a 2 minute news broadcast about the Australian Open suspending play for heat warnings while we are having school closed for winter storms and wind-cill warnings of -45oF (since January here is winter and there it is summer).  This is probably a more tangible entree into the fact that different hemispheres have seasons at different times.  Being a different distance from the sun would not impact that.  Which way the earth was pointed would.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers