Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / 2nd Grade Science

Early Childhood

2nd Grade Science

Author Post
Addison Scroggins Addison Scroggins 220 Points

Hello, I am currently in a program to become an Elementary school teacher. In one of my classes I have to teach a science lesson to 2nd graders. I was wondering what some of you may have done with 2nd graders? Any particularly successful lessons/activities that got (and kept) the students' attention? I'm nervous about my first science lesson and would love any ideas or tips! 

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

I taught 2nd grade for 12 years and yes, 2nd graders are easily engaged in science. I'm not sure what content strand you are focusing on. When we studied constellations, we use paper towel tubes and black construction paper. They made a circle from the black paper and used chalk to mimic one of the constellations. I used the pointed end on a protractor and punched small holes in the paper. They taped the paper on and looked through the tubes to see their constellations. I had a long row of windows and I used bulletin board paper to draw the solar system with planets, sun, and moon. I punched small holes in the moon and sun to have them be illuminated from the real sun outside the windows. We even introduced the words translucent, transparent, and opaque. The next lesson was on light. We also charted the phases of the moon for a little over a month so they could recognize the pattern of the moon phases.

Cecilia Cardona Cecilia Cardona 1115 Points

You will be fine! I am in the same program, I would talk to your cooperating teacher and find out what the students are learning. Then I would explore some articles that NSTA provides, it could be helpful... You could never go wrong with hands-on activities, just be sure to set your expectation before the lesson and the activity.

Itzel Zertuche Itzel Zertuche 950 Points

I am a student teacher with second graders. I taught plant and animal needs. Bellow I attached the jeopardy game I created for them. You may use it and change questions if you need to. I hope they enjoy it!!

Attachments

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

Thank you for sharing! That's good for reviewing and formative assessment.

Helen Vu Helen Vu 950 Points

My kids really enjoyed the living things v. non living things. I think it mainly had to do with them learning through more hands-on activities and getting to deal with both plants and live animals. They also really enjoyed the moon phases with the oreos!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers