Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Lawrence Hall of Science seeks Teachers

Earth and Space Science

Lawrence Hall of Science seeks Teachers

Author Post
Patricia Rourke Patricia Rourke 45925 Points

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION!! Lawrence Hall of Science Research Study 2014-2015 Dear Middle School Science Teachers, The Lawrence Hall of Science at UC Berkeley and Boston College would like to invite you to participate in a curriculum research study during the 2014-2015 school year. We are interested in exploring teachers' ideas about the science practices described in the Next Generation Science Standards and how Lawrence Hall of Science curriculum supports teachers' understanding of these practices. Participants in the study will have the opportunity to teach three Lawrence Hall of Science science units aligned to the Next Generation Science Standards. Unit topic areas include Earth Science and Space Science. Curriculum materials will be provided, including access to an online teacher's guide, physical kit materials for up to 160 students, and a master copy of print materials, summative assessments and homework. Please review the eligibility criteria and study requirements below to see if our research project fits your needs. Participating teachers who complete the study requirements noted below will receive $200 and may keep the study kit materials. Eligibility Criteria To be eligible for the study, teachers must meet the following criteria. • Teach science in 6th, 7th or 8th grade • Will sign study consent and obtain principal study consent • Able to use our curriculum materials at your school • Have access to a computer lab or laptops with Internet access (for 3 consecutive class sessions) • Have NOT used the following Lawrence Hall of Science curriculum materials or participated in field trials or pilots of these materials: Seeds of Science/Roots of Reading, GEMS Ocean Sciences Sequence, GEMS Space Science Sequence, Learning Design Group pilots or field trials, and Carnegie Project pilots. Study Requirements 1. Complete a pre-study survey (approximately 40 minutes) before teaching the units described below. 2. Teach all 3 of the following Earth and Space Science units in the order indicated during the 2014-2015 school year to at least 1 class. 3. Answer 1 multiple choice survey question about each lesson (via the online teacher's guide). 4. Complete a post-study survey (approximately 40 minutes) after teaching the units described above and before June 15, 2015. • First Unit: Rock Transformations and Earth's History (25 sessions + optional assessments) In this unit, students learn about rock transformations, both from processes that take place on the surface of Earth and from processes that take place below the surface of Earth. Students learn that these transformations are always happening and that geologists observe rock on Earth's surface to understand how rock forms and changes over time. Students then delve into how evidence of Earth's history can be found in rock. The principle of superposition is introduced, and students investigate several mysteries that require them to use this principle to reconstruct a sequence of events from the geologic past as well as the conditions under which those events occurred. • Second Unit: Currents and Earth's Climate (28 sessions + optional assessments) In this unit, students learn about what causes the movement of ocean water and air masses on Earth. They then learn how this movement, along with several other factors, influences regional climates on Earth. The unit culminates in a mystery, which students work to solve, about what makes the Atacama Desert in South America so incredibly dry. • Third Unit: Space: Gravity and Orbits (15 sessions + optional assessments) In this unit, students investigate the question How does gravity affect the orbits of different objects in space? Students learn about the effect of gravity on Earth and on objects in space. Students learn how mass, object radius, and distance to other objects influence the effect of gravity. The study of gravity prepares students to understand how space objects (planets, moons, asteroids, etc.) orbit one another. The unit culminates with students investigating atypical orbiting patterns and gathering evidence in order to explain which variables most strongly influence the orbits of Pluto and its large moon Charon. They use a computer simulation to gather evidence to support arguments about which variables have the greatest influence on this observed phenomenon. NOTE: This unit requires a minimum of three consecutive computer lab days. Important Notes: • As long as these three units are taught in the order indicated, it does not matter when during the 2014-15 school year they are taught. • Teachers are welcome to teach the curriculum to more than 1 class. Please see Earth and Space Science Unit Overviews for more detailed information about the units. Meet the Requirements? Great! If you meet the study eligibility criteria and study requirements and are interested in participating, please complete the interest survey. We will contact

Catherine Wade 70 Points

I am interested in participating in the Lawrence Hall of Science research study. Please contact me. C. Wade [email protected]

Mary Jackson Mary Jackson 20 Points

I am interested in participating in the Lawrence Hall of Science research study. Please contact me. Mary Jackson

Anna Gourley Anna Gourley 925 Points

Hello, Please consider me for this project. I would be very interested in participating. I teach 6th, 7th and 8th grade science. Anna Gourley [email protected]

Elizabeth Brooking Elizabeth Brooking 400 Points

I am very interested in participating. I teach 6th grade in Richmond. Elizabeth Brooking

Mary Jackson Mary Jackson 20 Points

I am interested in participating in the Lawrence Hall of Science research study. I teach 8th grade Physical Science and 7th/8th Environmental Science. Please contact me. Mary Jackson [email protected]

Jocelyn Virtudes Jocelyn Virtudes 20 Points

Hello I am interested to join the Lawrence Hall of Science Research Study for 2014-2015. Please contact me. My email address is [email protected] Thanks. jvirtudes

Jocelyn Virtudes Jocelyn Virtudes 20 Points

Hello I am interested to join the Lawrence Hall of Science Research Study for 2014-2015. Please contact me. My email address is [email protected] Thanks. jvirtudes

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers