Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / New to teaching science

General Science and Teaching

New to teaching science

Author Post
Chelsea Burge Chelsea Burge 725 Points

Hello all. I am currently working on my masters degree and hope to be an elementary school teacher soon. I am taking a class right now about teaching science which is how I discovered the NTSA website. I did not excel in the sciences growing up, but as an adult, I am finding this subject very interesting. However, I feel intimidated to teach a subject that I myself struggled with. How can I prepare myself to give my future students a better experience than I did? 

That's so cool you are finding science interesting and fun, Chelsea. I thought that the thread that another student studying to be a science teacher started in the New Teacher forum was great (https://my.nsta.org/forum/topic/PPVdO5egRls_E ). I learned so much and enjoyed the responses in addition to the ones shared with you here! 

Carlos Maya Carlos 10 Points

Hi Chelsea,

We were in the same boat when I first taught enthomology, how can we make a lasting better experience for kids? what I did was making it real for them; something they will never forget because they experienced it, it turns into spiders and cockroaches (one sample each, plastic or real).  observation, comparing analized and conclude, that is how they figured out the difference between an insect and an arachnid.

Now, how can I prepared myself? be in their shoes, do what kids love to do.. ask questions. why? when? how? and for sure you will find the way. 

Technically this can be done with them:

1. Hands-on experiments: Kids love to learn by doing, so incorporate hands-on experiments into your science lessons. This can be as simple as growing plants. 

2. Interactive multimedia: Use multimedia resources, such as videos, animations, and interactive games, to engage your students and make the material come alive.

3. Real-world examples: Show your students how the scientific concepts they are learning about are relevant to their everyday lives. For example, you can discuss how the principles of physics apply to sports or how the properties of matter are important in cooking.

4. Collaborative learning: Encourage your students to work together on projects and experiments. This not only helps them learn from each other but also makes the learning experience more social and enjoyable.

5. Field trips: Take your students on field trips to science museums, nature reserves, or other places where they can see science in action.

6. Fun activities: Plan fun activities that incorporate science, such as building and launching rockets or creating slime.

Hope it helps

Kaitlyn Owens Kaitlyn Owens 1415 Points

I am a first year teacher, so I can relate to this! Teaching can be intimidating, especially in science/social studies, but I have found that reading over my teacher-edition materials in advance helps so much. I also enjoy finding videos online like BrainPop to help break down some of the ideas. Incorporating supplemental things can bring some variety to the lessons. Good luck in your journey!

Lauren Cramer Lauren Cramer 2025 Points

It's so funny you say that because I can relate so well. I did not 'love' science when I was in school but after I started earning my degree and now that I am an adult, I have found such a passion for it. My best advice is to just make sure you know your content. There were so many times I had teachers who I could tell had no idea what they were teaching, and your students can smell a rat also. Be confident and try to plan meaningful, fun experiences for them so they will love coming to your class! Best of luck and I know you will do great! 

Robyn Soronow Robyn Soronow 13865 Points

Hi Chelsea. I also struggled with science growing up, especially in my High School years. However, I have found through my science courses that science can be engaging and interesting, when taught well. Use iniquiry-based lessons which guide your students towards conceptual understanding. A wealth of high-quality lesson plans are available on NSTA. You may find that it is easier to teach science when you are guiding student inquiry, rather than delivering information.

Robyn Soronow Robyn Soronow 13865 Points

Hi Chelsea. I also struggled with science growing up, especially in my High School years. However, I have found through my science courses that science can be engaging and interesting, when taught well. Use iniquiry-based lessons which guide your students towards conceptual understanding. A wealth of high-quality lesson plans are available on NSTA. You may find that it is easier to teach science when you are guiding student inquiry, rather than delivering information.

John Le Golvan John Le Golvan 40 Points

Hi Chelsea.  First, welcome to the world of teaching.  You may have struggled with the sciences the first time around, but now that this is round 2 your brain has had time to process the information.  Make sure you know the content, and make sure you can break it down simply for the students.  Having some fun is also a good idea.  Find videos on Youtube of people doing the concept that you are teaching (not always instructional videos, use ones where people were goofing off (hold my beer and watch this!) scenarios).  That helps them realize that science is built into their lives whether they know/like it or not.

Brian Marrero Brian Marrero 1260 Points

Greetings, Chelsea 

I know how you feel, is a little bit funny because when I start teaching before I teach science (what I study) I teach math and I feel exactly like you do right now. In my mind I was scared how to teach without an error and other stuff. My recommendation is simply. First of all, calm down you will doing a great job. That feeling that you having it will make you grow and make you a great teacher. Second, search the information that you need in NSTA website, ask question in the forum, in Google, Pinterest, everything is fine. Always think in what you need to teach and how is the better form to doing it. Remember that not al students are the same.  You can use YouTube videos to explain something and make them to think about that. You have to many resources to teach, you just need to know how to used. And finally, make your classroom a save place to them to make errors and learn about them.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers