Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Experiments

Elementary Science

Experiments

Author Post
Kelly Gard Kelly Gard 180 Points

What are some expiriments that you do in your 1st grade classrooms that are easy for both me and my studneets, yet teachers them a lot about chemistry? I want to introduce them to chemistry early on! 

Richard Lahti Richard Lahti 3100 Points

Kelly - have you tried looking at state or national science standards ... and even more importantly the reasoning behind them?  You won't find chemistry in 1st grade.

If we use the term 'chemistry' very loosely, the closest we get is states of matter - generally tangible ones like solids and liquids maybe 2nd grade depending on state, more abstract ones like gasses at 4th, and then physical properties maybe 6th grade and they just moved density out of the 6th grade to middle school.  Middle school you finally start seeing some chemistry.  Why?  Because to _understand_ chemistry is to tie what one sees at the macroscopic level to the invisible interactions of invisible particles, specifically the behavior of invisible electrons that make up the invisible atoms.  As Piaget discoverred over a century ago, abstract thought comes later than concrete thought - usually around the time of puberty.  Likewise, ever since the Project 2061 standards came out back in the 1990s the shift has been towards 'chemistry' more towards middle school.  

At the 1st grade level you should be focusing on concrete experiences they can directly interact with.  Rocks, weather, animals, plants, rolling balls, light, etc. as per NGSS or your state standards and honing observation and basic skills of inquiry.

I found a webpage with several chemistry experiments for the little ones. I hope this helps you introduce chemistry. Have FUN! https://littlebinsforlittlehands.com/chemistry-activities-experiments-kids/

Miranda Castellano Miranda Castellano 190 Points

What a great idea to expose them to chemistry at that age. I would advise working with the light spectrum. There are many connections that the kids can make using their prior knowledge. It can also be taught in a variety of ways that will make it fun for the students. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers