Forums

Forums / Next Generation Science Standards / Implementing Next Gen. Standards

Next Generation Science Standards

Implementing Next Gen. Standards

Author Post
Clair Green Clair Green 190 Points

I am wondering how the implementation of the Next Gen Standards is going to the classroom. Have you found it harder or easier to know what to teach? Do your students seem to be responding well to new curriculum that you have implemented?

Brooke Tatz Brooke Tatz 3268 Points

I am a pre-service teacher but I am have been developing a NGSS aligned unit and recently taught a NGSS lesson in a first grade classroom. Although I have not had a lot of experience within the classroom, I have found these standards to be extremely helpful in the planning process. I like to think of NGSS as extra guidelines that help form engaging lessons. Additionally, I have really enjoyed using the NGSS website as a resource and find it to be rather easy to navigate!

Charissa Barnhill Charissa Barnhill 2434 Points

I have only been teaching for a year, and I have been learning how to implement science lessons that align with NGSS. I have found that these lessons definitely take more time and thought to plan (not necessarily harder to teach), but the student engagement is much, much higher. They become really engaged because they are doing something hands-on and actually doing the learning themselves with just the help and assistance from you as the teacher. They also seem to better connect and remember the matieral, and from the assessments their understandings are deeper. 

Ling Xu Ling Xu 6458 Points

I compare the standard of GSE and GPS in science, especially in the kindergarten and first grade, it is very similar~ So I believe it won't be too hard, just believe yourself, you could do better

Nicole Anthony Nicole Anthony 702 Points

I am a student teacher, in my placement, my teacher was implementing the NGSS, there are many engaging activities that involve all the students. One of the tools she was using for her classroom was USA test prep. Many of the classes were using problem-based learning as well, this allowed the students to solve a problem in front of them and learn as they go. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers