Forums

Forums / Next Generation Science Standards / How to Use NGSS in the Classroom

Next Generation Science Standards

How to Use NGSS in the Classroom

Author Post
Amy Efird Amy Efird 1820 Points

Hello, my name is Amy Efird. I’m a senior at Henderson State University in Arkadelphia, Arkansas. I would love to teach kindergarten and plan on teaching in my hometown of Mount Ida. My question pertains to using Next Generation Science Standards in the classroom, and how we can make sure our students are learning everything they need to know. 

Chandler Njus Chandler Njus 980 Points

Hi Amy,

I have often thought about how I too would want to make sure students are covering the standards for their grade in the classroom, while not “teaching to the standard.” I have thought about making the topic arrangements, such as matter, energy, or motion and stability, each big units, and within those, I would focus on the standards that align underneath them. The standards do a phenomenal job describing what is being asked and some ideas of ways you do this in the classroom. Each of the standards could be a different lesson, which might occur over days instead of completing each day. There are a lot of standards to cover in a short amount of time, so the more interdisciplinary within the standards, the easier it will be. Another way to accomplish this might be to tie in the standard with math or reading, which the NGSS does a great job on what standards also are met by covering the NGSS standards. How can you tie and cover multiple standards with one lesson? This approach may help you effectively cover all the standards efficiently and effectively.

Let me know how this works out,

Chandler Njus

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers