Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Classroom Enviroment

New Teachers

Classroom Enviroment

Author Post
Allison Fletcher Allison Fletcher 388 Points

Hi my name is Allison. I'm studying to become a teacher for elementary. I always wanted to know what the perfect classroom seat arrangement was. Can someone please share what they think worked best for them and why?

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

Hi Allison--  

No one seating arrangement is 'perfect'—each has advantages and disadvantages, depending on the learning activities. If you use a variety of instructional strategies in your class, you’ll want to use a variety of seating arrangements. For example, students working in pairs, teams, or groups could push their desks or tables together. And there are times when students should work independently. 

Having flexible arrangements will accommodate these actdivities.  Some teachers may worry that changing the seating arrangements, particularly during a class period, is confusing and time-consuming and that students prefer a consistent arrangement.  In my experience, a seamless transition between activities doesn’t happen overnight. The teacher needs to communicate the reason for the change, establish norms for appropriate behaviors, and have the students practice these transitions. 

You'll have to review student individual education plans to determine any special seating requirements. Make sure seating arrangements can accommodate the visual, auditory, and physical needs of your students as well as any assistive technologies or devices they use. (One year my seating arrangements had to include space for a student’s service dog.) -- Mary B.

Nicole Stump Nicole Stump 1785 Points

Hello Allison!

I do not think there is a perfect seating arrangement when it comes down to it. I think a lot of it depends on what your students are like. If they are more chatty and off task maybe grouping them together is not the best idea. If they need a push on having discussions with one another, grouping them together would be more helpful. I have also studied that seating students in pods or a group rather than individually is better for their learning, but again there is not one perfect way to seat them.

Julieth Hernandez julieth hernandez 320 Points

Hi Allison! i think often times it just depends on the size of your classroom and how much space you have to begin with. as days pass by, you have more time to get to know your students and understand who can sit with who and you can have a better idea of your classroom setup. its important to realize and understand that your classroom will not always remain the same. you will move furniture around, your room will be become messy at times, and that is just part of the learning process. i definitely think groups are important, they help students work together and learn from one another. 

Morgan Starbeck Morgan Starbeck 1575 Points

I am also a pre service teacher. I like the ideas that students work in groups. It makes it easier for students to work cooperatively together, you can also move students so that they have the opportunity to work with other people through out the year. I remember when my teacher would do new seating arrangements it would be exciting for everyone. 

Greg Tomlinson Greg Tomlinson 540 Points

I believe groups is one of the best arrangements. It always depends on your students, but having the ability for students to work together in pre determined groups and collaborate together is great for an engaging science class.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers