Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Scientific Inquiry Lesson in kindergarten

General Science and Teaching

Scientific Inquiry Lesson in kindergarten

Author Post
Deanna Spain Deanna 1195 Points

Hi All - Help needed please!!!!!! I need to teach an inquiry based science lesson to my KINDERGARTENERS next month. I'm a little confused as to what makes a science lesson "inquiry based" as opposed to just a regular science lesson. I really don't know where to begin. I've googled inquiry based lessons, and found one on clouds, but I'm not quite sure what makes it inquiry based - is it the type of questions you ask? Or is it that the students help drive the lesson and determine what they will be focusing on? Any help and advice is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!

Jennine Tambio Jennine Tambio 1355 Points

Deanna, Well, I am a month late in responding to your post, but I am curious to hear about how your inquiry-based science lesson went. What topic did you decide on? Did you figure out a way to make it inquiry-based? What did that look like in your Kindergarten classroom? I remember my student teaching program started with “An Inquiry about Inquiry,” which I found so mind-boggling. I found this site that clarifies a bit how the inquiry-based learning approach differs from the traditional approach. http://www.thirteen.org/edonline/concept2class/inquiry/index_sub1.html I have been teaching Kindergarten for years now, but I can relate to your posting because I still struggle with whether or not I am truly engaging students in an inquiry-based lesson. Arlene’s continuum on the variations of inquiry suggests to me that in my Kindergarten class, I am probably engaging students in more Teacher-Centered Inquiry. I usually start my science instruction by proposing a question, and then encouraging students to suggest ways of finding out the answer. Or I usually provide the students with the materials that they would need to begin to answer the question. I took a course once on the Project Approach—both the class and instructional strategies were presented by Dr. Lilian Katz. The Project Approach seemed like true Student-Centered Inquiry because the children directed every step of the construction of knowledge. The students decided on a topic, developed questions about what they wanted to know, and then the teachers helped to provide materials, field trips, and other learning resources to help them answer their wonderings. I felt at the time, and still do, that the Project Approach was such a thorough, engaging way to help students capitalize on their natural curiosity, while developing their wonderings and learning so much about a particular topic. The challenge I faced was that the Project Approach was serious time commitment. I think it would require a large portion of each day over a number of days. The school that I teach at has school-wide curricula for reading and math that all teachers are expected to follow, so with so much time already dedicated to language arts and math, I could not find a way to cohesively pursue a Project Approach style in my classroom. Has anyone else heard of or implemented the Project Approach?

James Forde James Forde 1990 Points

I had heard that this season of Sesame Street had a STEM focus. I would Google sesame street and stem or maybe head to the PBS kids web site for more information! jim forde stamford,ct twitter--> stemnetwork

Kathy Renfrew Kathy Renfrew 37148 Points

James, I was at a conference at NSF last weekend and I heard the same thing. I haen't done any further investigating but I am going to now. I will post what I learn. Kathy

Kathy Renfrew Kathy Renfrew 37148 Points

Sesame Street to Incorporate STEM Lessons into 42nd Season. That was the headline on September 27, 2011 There are quite a few articles about this. I think I am going to ditto Jim's suggestion that you go to the Sesame Street site and see what is appropriate for your purposes. Kathy

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers