Forums

Forums / STEM / Robotics vs Engineering & Design

STEM

Robotics vs Engineering & Design

Author Post
Mary Poarch Mary Poarch 140 Points

If you had to choose between offering a robotics elective and an engineering/design elective for middle scool, which would you choose?  Why? Many thanks for your feedback.

Justine Sandoval Justine Sandoval 570 Points

I would choose an engineering design course for an elective as I could see it benefit students that are good with making practical application in constructing machines, buildings, bridges, etc. This allows for math to merge with science and students can see how these subjects work together to make something work.

Lauren Smith Lauren Smith 420 Points

Both electives have value for teaching middle school students about STEM concepts. Justine has a good point stating that engineering does a good job of encompassing many subjects, but I personally believe robotics would be much more approachable for students. Being able to directly influence the actions of the robot can vitalize the students and give them a driving force to learn even more.

Andrea Burrows Andrea Burrows 485 Points

Hello, I would name the class with the title that would be most appealing to your students. Regardless of the name of the course, you can incorporate both aspects (robotics and engineering design) into the elective. There are many online resources to help with these types of classes/activities as well (e.g. LinkEngineering.org).

Maxine Dibert Maxine Dibert 1355 Points

I would offer an engineering elective. Many students don't fully understand the meaning of engineering and how simple of a subject it is and how many fun and engaging activities are involved with engineering. I have found students love the challenge of making the strongest bridge, highest tower or toughest building. I recently was introduced to the 3-D drawing pen. Check it out on Amazon. Students can make 3-D objects, which is really challenging. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers