Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / STEAM PRE-K

Early Childhood

STEAM PRE-K

Author Post
Alexa Vasquez Alexa Vasquez 420 Points

Hello I am currently a soon to be teachers aide at a elementary school that has a focus on STEAM. What are some activites you reccomend for children in PRE-K that can be engaging for them without being to difficult?

Peggy Ashbrook Peggy Ashbrook 10963 Points

Hi Alexa,

The Early Years columns, in every issue of the NSTA journal Science and Children, are written for Pre-K to grade 2 educators and their children. Search the Science and Children archives for this column and see which topics are about natural phenomena and the big ideas in science that interest your children. Children engage with the big ideas at developmentally appropriate levels--they are not too difficult for children to begin to explore!

I've attached my Early Years collection but it is not yet complete! The current authors of the column, Shelly Counsell and Alissa A. Lange, continue to connect educators to appropriate activities that inspire exploration and investigation.

Best wishes,

Peggy

The Early Years column, preK-grade 2 Collection (125 items)
Kristen Rowland Kristen Rowland 865 Points

Hi Alexa I teach Kindergarten and I have used the activity of making paper rockets that the students can then attacth to a straw. These straw rockets are great to use for STEM learning. My kindergarten students loved propelling the rockets through the air using the power of their lungs. 

Nathan Jess Nathan 440 Points

My name is Nathan Jess and I am currently a student teacher in Kindergarten. I was wondering what types of stem activities you see a lot of positive feedback from the students? I have a lesson I will have to be supervised for and was wondering if there any science labs/activities you would recommend?

Baylee Teeters Baylee Teeters 230 Points

Hi! I'm currently going to school for early education p-3 and work at a preschool as well. One Steam activity we have done that the children love is getting a butterfly kit so it comes with live caterpillars and they watch them grow into butterflies and at the end they are able to let the butterflies go and watch them fly. In this you are able to teach them the life cycle. You can create multiple projects outside of this as well. I would highly recommend this because it's interactive as well as having to have them wait for them to grow/hatch. They get to watch the process of life.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers