Forums

Forums / New Teachers / aligning assessments with objectives

New Teachers

aligning assessments with objectives

Author Post
Cynthia Malcolmson Cynthia Malcolmson 2365 Points

I am a preservice teacher and am writing a two week unit for first grade on the topic of weather. My first class is devoted to reading the picture book "The Watcher" about Jane Goodall's scientific observations. It is a very good picture book, that discusses the importance of careful observation. Unfortunately it doesn't have anything to do with weather. I am not sure if I should use it. Also, I do not have an activity at this time to go with the book. All I really want the students to do is listen carefully and reflect. How do I assess that? Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

One of the best assessments with young children is simply to listen to their comments during the story and discussion of the book after you have read it. As Art Linkletter used to say on TV, "Kid's say the darndest things!" You can learn so much from kids from just talking with them and listening to them!

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

I'm not very familiar with the book, but perhaps you could promote some discussion about observations: Why is this book called "The Watcher"? What makes a good "watcher"? What tools did Jane use? Did she ask a lot of questions? Then you could segue into What would make a good "weather watcher"? What questions could we ask? What tools would we need?

Nicole White Nicole White 640 Points

You can have students provide feedback on some “ahh haa” moments they had or picked up while you were reading. Explain to students that an “ahh haa” moment is when they have learned something they did not know before and that they should be listening for these as you read. You can also give each student2 3- stackable squares. When you are done reading have the students share and discuss something they remember from the reading. Each time they share something they get to try and throw one of their squares onto a bucket. Nicole White

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers