Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Lesson Plan on Food chains- vocabulary

General Science and Teaching

Lesson Plan on Food chains- vocabulary

Author Post
Danna Garcia Danna Garcia 530 Points

I am teaching a science lesson on food chains. What are ways I can teach/ review vocabulary with the students in a way that keeps them engaged and is not just going over the definitions?

Emily Faulconer Emily Faulconer 5755 Points

Danna - This is a great question and I think many strategies could be applied here that are not unique to the subject matter at hand. It takes multiple exposures to a term to cement its definition to memory so any activities we can use to increase exposure is great! I like generating puzzles for students. You can use an online Quotefalls generator to make phrases that define or apply a term and students have a fun little challenge. I used these as extra credit. 

http://puzzlemaker.discoveryeducation.com/FallenPhraseSetupForm.asp?campaign=flyout_teachers_puzzle_fallen 

Lindsay Melching Lindsay Melching 185 Points

Hi, Danna.  I'm not sure if you are familiar with Kagan Strategies, but Kagan provides many collaborative strategies for content review.  I'm including the link to some English strategies that would be very compatible with science.  

Lindsay Melching Lindsay Melching 185 Points

Hi, Danna.  I'm not sure if you are familiar with Kagan Strategies, but Kagan provides many collaborative strategies for content review.  I'm including the link to some English strategies that would be very compatible with science.  

Michelle Schuster 85 Points

Hi Dana, I think an excellent way to review food chains and food webs is to dissect owl pellets and then have students create food chains / webs of the things they find in their owl pellets.  They can review the vocabulary as they label these food chains/webs.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers