Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Pre-K Gardening

Early Childhood

Pre-K Gardening

Author Post
Jessica Messmer Jessica Messmer 210 Points

What are some unique and engaging science activities that would be helpful for incoming preschool students regarding flowers, dirt, bugs, etc?

Tara Browning Tara Browning 200 Points

I love that you are engaging them in science early on! I think you come have a classroom insect garden maybe with some dirt and roly-polies. You could let the students hold them which could teach them about the bugs, but also how to be gentle with things. Another idea is to bring in some containers of dirt, plant seeeds, and let the children "plant" the seeds themselves. Good luck!

Arlet Jimenez Arlet Jimenez 230 Points

Another idea would be starting a butterfly garden to attract butterflies nearby.Your students could go outdoors and observe them.I know there are some companies that already have cocooned butterflies and can send them to you.

Michelle Alban Michelle Alban 3095 Points

I am a senior in college studying to be an elementary school teacher. In the past classes I have worked it, early on in the year the students start to learn about flowers and what flowers need to survive (water and sunlight). After they learned about it, each student planted their own flower. (You can decide where the plants go-inside or outside.) Every day when they came to class, they would water their plants and about once a week they would observe what has changed. (You most likely need to measure out the water, then have them pour it.) Then, when it started getting colder outside they did a lesson on where the best place for their plants would be, because we didn't want them to freeze outside. The students were always excited, it taught them some responsibility and when a student wasn't in school they would ask how their plant was doing when they got back to school. The students I worked with really enjoyed this! -Michelle

Jody Grandier jody grandier 1600 Points

At the daycare I work at we do the caterpillar to butterfly every year. The kids love watching this transformation and letting them go in the butterfly garden is a huge hit. I have often wondered what some other good ideas would be to incorporate gardening into the classroom at all ages. I know all ages would love this subject but finding the perfect one to bring it in the classroom seems very tricky.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers