Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Motivating Students

New Teachers

Motivating Students

Author Post
Kaitlyn Quinn Kaitlyn Quinn 1465 Points

A lot of students have a negative connotation about science and become unmotivated in class. What are some engaging activities for the beginning of the year to help students get excited for science?

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

First of all, the teacher needs to be highly motivated about science. Give the students an antidote about why you liked something particular in science. Dress up in a costume to get the kids attention. Do a discrepant event to get their attention. Discuss something in the news about recent developments in science.

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

You didn't say what grade level you teach. It might be interesting to investigate why students developed a negative opinion of science. You might want to talk to a few students about their previous experiences. If they had mostly a worksheet/memorization experience, it's no wonder that they appear unmotivated for what they might think is going to be more of the same. Their attitudes might change once they see the applications of science to their lives or have interesting experiences with investigating, observing, discussing, and creating that I'm sure you have planned.

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

Tina is so right about teaching students appropriate (and safe) behaviors in the lab. Like Tina, I started with simple investigations that reinforced basic skills in an authentic way. We had procedures in place (e.g., only one student was to get the tray of materials, a signal for the teacher to get everyone's attention, designated places for equipment and lab notebooks). It may take a few weeks for everyone to get on board, so don't give up too soon. Of course, unsafe behaviors must be stopped at once.

Patrick Mangan Patrick Mangan 110 Points

I'm a future teacher, and I have thought about this a lot. I think I'm going to be the kind of teacher that is enthusiastic about science, since I am now, and that might help with their motivation. I think if they see how enthusiastic and supportive I am, and if they find me relatable, then they would be significantly more motivated than if I just stood in front of them and lectured them and gave them tests every once in a while.

Leah Mehler Leah Mehler 3115 Points

I feel that this is a crucial topic that needs to be discussed and I am glad it was brought up. I feel with the constant new technology kids are getting bored more easily and its hard to keep them motivated. I also feel as students get older their motivation dwindles down significantly to almost nothing. What are some good suggestions to keep students motivated and engaged in learning?

Nicole Lopez Nicole Lopez 1690 Points

I remember always hating science too when I was younger. My teachers always talked to us about the concepts we were supposed to learn, but we never had the opportunity to really learn on our own. I think a great way for you to engage your students is to first find out why they aren't interested in it. Maybe they need more hands-on experiences that help to foster their understanding of the unit you are teaching. Also, reflect on what you are doing as a teacher too! Sometimes it is our own teaching style that isn't making the lesson interesting to our student.

Barbara Garcia Barbara Garcia 1810 Points

I am not a teacher yet but from the prior post I think these teachers are giving us great advice. Since most student are not used to doing hands on labs in class you have to gradually teach them how to do it safely and manageably. I believe many students enjoy science as long as the teacher can find ways to have them make connections to their prior experiences. While doing my field hours I noticed that the student are eager to share stories that are related to the concept you are teaching and are open to discussion if their experience is not quit on target with the topic. Any topic can be fun to learn as long as the teacher can find a way to capture the students interests by relating to real life experiences.

Dylaneigh Reardon Dylaneigh Reardon 1485 Points

As a future question I think about motivation quite often. Be happy. Honestly, having a teacher who is happy to be teaching can make such a difference. Let students know that they can go to you for questions, too. That way they don't get too far behind.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers