Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Teaching science outside of the classroom

Early Childhood

Teaching science outside of the classroom

Author Post
Nacaren Sarabia Nacaren Sarabia 45 Points

What are some ways to teach 2nd grade science class outdoors? What activities can the students perform?

Flavio Mendez Flavio Mendez 52501 Points

Hi Nacaren,

See these articles about 'Outdoors' science from Science and Children.

https://common.nsta.org/resource/?id=10.2505/4/sc08_046_01_50

https://common.nsta.org/resource/?id=10.2505/4/sc12_049_07_70

Take care,

Flavio.

Melanie Biddinger Melanie Biddinger 495 Points

Hi Nacaren,

This is a great question because having your students learn outdoors not only gives them a change of scenery but also allows them to learn and appreciate the natural world around them. 

Before I would begin any lesson, I would make sure that the area I am going to take my students is safe.  For instance, I would make sure that there are no dangerous plants that students may come into contact with, such as poison ivy.  In addition, I would set several “ground rules,” such as creating a boundary in which students have to stay in during the lesson. 

I feel that a great way to begin any lesson outside is to have the students go on a nature walk where they can use their senses to explore their environment.  You can have the students look up at the sky, look closely at the leaves on trees, and observe the interaction/behavior of animals and insects.  This is just a fun way to get your students familiar with their surroundings.   

One lesson/activity that second graders can do is to collect various rock and soil samples.  Students can use their investigative skills and various tools, such as magnifying glasses to study the samples and compare various features, such as texture and color.

Another activity is having your students plant their own flower and vegetable gardens.  This will teach concepts, such as the life cycle of plants as well as what they need to grow (water, sunlight, etc.).  This will also improve your students’ self-esteem because they will feel a sense of ownership and responsibility for taking care of a living thing.  

Students can also study weather patterns.  This could be a year-long activity where students can go outside at least twice every season and observe the weather by using their senses.  Students can document their findings in a journal and will be able to compare the weather throughout the year. 

These are just a few examples of activities that students can do outside. 

-Melanie

Christy Beatty Christy Beatty 305 Points

I really like the naming convention article. It is so easy to just take a walk and find creatures and figure out what they are. The children really seem to like this. They feel in charge of the findings and they are usually really excited to follow through with the research!! They want to figure out what they found and what else they can find!!

Teresha Sutton Teresha Sutton 325 Points

One outdoor science activity for your second graders could be: 

... Have students identify the different types of plants

... You could also have them classifiy perenials vs. annuals

... Students could identify the difference between a plant/flower and a weed

... Students could identify which plants/shrubs are deserts, how much sun/water different plants need 

Teresha Sutton

Gabriella Fiorino Gabriella Fiorino 395 Points

A science activity that I found some that my students have throughly enjoyed nature walks, not only does it give them a chance to physically get outside in nature, but it also opens up so many questions for them to explore. Another activity that they enjoyed was having a butterfly that they could grow in their classroom. Being able to see the butterflies grow over time, and watching them change was a great experience. The last one that they enjoyed was a sensory center, this provided the them will smells and things to touch so they can explore the senses.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers