Forums

Forums / Chemistry / Ionic Chemisty

Chemistry

Ionic Chemisty

Author Post
C M Cameron Mackowski 540 Points

The next unit we will be going over is ionic bonding and nomenclature. This unit can be so dry and requires a lot of memorization.

What are some ways I can better engage my studets with this material?

What are some real world examples I can use to connect this material to my students?

Are there any useful tools to aid in the memorization of the polyatomic ions?

I have lots of practice for my students to do, but I am scared they will not retain the information because it is boring and they won't be able to see the connection to their lives.

Any and all feedback would be great!! Thank you!!

Cristina Welch Cristina Welch 410 Points

Hey there!  I am a chemistry teacher as well (5th year), and I haved struggled with some of the same issues.  Here are a few suggestions:

1) identify ionic compounds that students can relate to (baked goods - sodium bicarbonate, salts - foods/metal car corrosion, see the prezi link below) and either bring in those items for students to see, touch, taste, see of the effects of their use...etc.  That might help to get them in the mindset that chemistry matters to them.

2) do an informal redox lab with various salt solutions and iron nails (representing their car, or future car).  As you are talking about the results of the lab (which causes more corrosion, accelerates corrosion) reiterate the names and formulas.

3) for covalent nomenclature...write the formulas and names for carbon monoxide and another compound on the board.  Ask the students to come up with the rules for naming and formula writing on their own 

https://prezi.com/fdkutbufabmo/ionic-compounds-in-everyday-items/

Hope this helps!  ~Cristina

Ryan Stander Ryan Stander 230 Points

Is there a reason they have to memorize the ions? I know that knowing some ions based on groups (eg Halogens form -1) is good to know, but I give my students a common ions chart that they can use any time they want (including tests). 

Cristina Welch Cristina Welch 410 Points

Hey there...I have my students memorize ions, despite the fact they are given a chart to use on assignments.  The reason for this is that they become much more familiar with the ions and are less likely to look up every ion when it comes time for a test, quiz, or exam.  The more that they have memorized, the quicker they can answer questions.  Then, they can spend more time answer questions, and less time looking up basic information.

C M Cameron Mackowski 540 Points

I guess I am worried if I give them the ions they won't think about them much, then when a test or something comes they will be too focused on finding the correct ion and remembering how it is used that they won't perform as well as they could on the test.

This is worth a try, I think I got stuck in what I did in highschool and it affected how I am teaching. Getting out of my confort zone would be good on this one. Thank you!!

Emily Faulconer Emily Faulconer 5755 Points

I have found that focusing on Lewis structures helps them understand charges so they don't have to memorize as much because they understand why ... and can figure it out if they need to. But I, too, allow my students to use a reference list and do not require them to memorize formulas for polyatomic ions. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers