Forums

Forums / Informal Science / My own experience

Informal Science

My own experience

Author Post
Wei Jia Wei Jia 1180 Points

I was teach students about how to cook for two months. I think it is okay for students to use some cookers. Students can try to use cooler cutting food and teacher cook the food to show then the change of the food and the sound of pizz. 

Emily Faulconer Emily Faulconer 5755 Points

You may want to check with your administration about this. They may not want to allow students to actually eat the food, depending on their policies. My step-daughter attended a school that could only use pre-packaged food for activities (nothing home-made). I used to teach with food when I taught high school in 2005 - 2006, but I'm sure rules have changed since then. 

Rachel Schermerhorn Rachel Schermerhorn 275 Points

I know my mother teaches in a Montessori school (but public) and she teaches with TONS of cooking. Her school has 1 kitchen for every 3 classrooms or something crazy like that. My mom does have to worry about allergies, but if the recipe has an allergen she just works her way around it. Her students have made spaghetti, pie, kale chips, tons of fun things. 

Andrea Myers Andrea Myers 3675 Points

Wow...long time since I thought about Montessori.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers