Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Natural Resources Lesson Plan (Student Teacher)

Earth and Space Science

Natural Resources Lesson Plan (Student Teacher)

Author Post
Megan Naquin Megan Naquin 515 Points

Hello, 

I am a student teacher at the University of Houston. For on of my assignments I have to create a 5E lesson plan for my placement classroom and teach it to them. The topic is going to be over natural resources. I believe I have a pretty strong lesson plan so far. I have talked to many people including my mentor techer about my ideas and eveyone seems to like it, however, I do have a few concerns and I figured the more advice the better. Here is the very basic run down of what I am planning on doing, (by the way this is fourth grade)

Engage: Open up a disucssion about Earth and see if it leads to a discussion about how Earth has an abudence of resources. 

Explore: Give each table of students a sort of natural resources. I will not give them any categories yet. I want them to tey and make cinnections on their own first. After they have had a few minutes to do this then I will give them the categories of renewable and nonrenewable resources and see if the students can sort the pictures into their categories. 

Explain: I will ask students what they believe a natural resources are and see if they know what renewable and onrenewable resources are. Then I will lead into a discussion where I have prepaired a powerpoint. I expect the students to be engaged in answering my questions and taking notes. After we have gone through the information I will give the students a finale attempt to make any corrections to their sort before giving them the answers. 

Elabourate: Students will be expected to use the informatuon learned in the explain part of the lesson to complete a worksheet htat has a small list of renwanble and nonrenewable resources. Students will be expected to distinguish between the two and explain their reasoning in sentences on the bottom of the paper. 

Evaluate: Students will be creating a postcard out of renewable and non renewable resources. The postcard will be addressed to a parent or legal garudian and on the back will have a paragragh letting them know what the student has learned in calss about natural resources. 

Theses are some of my ideas in basic form. Please let me know your thoughts and opinions! Remember I am a student teacher, so I am still learning and expanding my horizin. 

Emily Faulconer Emily Faulconer 5755 Points

For 'engage', I suggest drafting 3 - 5 questions to get the conversation started. 

Elizabeth Piet Elizabeth Piet 450 Points

Hi there, I am a pre-service teacher as well but I have been in the education system for several years now. I would suggest a more stuctured engagement, ask questions, guide them to the line of thinking you want them to focus on. The Explore portion, I like that you are trying to determine what the students already know and how they would sort them. Maybe also include some blank cards for them to list their own resources they might think of and they can sort them and determine the catagory of their own ideas as well. Question, for your evaluate portion, are they writing their own paragraph on the postcard?

Best of Luck!

Liz Piet 

Megan Naquin Megan Naquin 515 Points

Sorry for the late reply we did already do the lesson. It turned out very well actually. I do afree that the beginging should have been more foucued. The sort was very nice though and the students loved it. Although I love the idea of the blank cards. That is something for me to think about for next time. To answer your question, they did write thier own paragragh on the postcards. The students had alot of fun with the activities and I feel like they truly learned a lot from it. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers