Forums

Forums / Next Generation Science Standards / Informing Administrators about NGSS

Next Generation Science Standards

Informing Administrators about NGSS

Author Post
Robert Hoffman Robert Hoffman 1845 Points

I am preparing a short 20 min presentation for secondary administrators on NGSS. Besides the basic 3 dimension overview and timeline of implementation, any suggestions on how to communicate to Admin about evaluating teachers in an NGSS implemented classroom and what the classroom will look like? What students will be doing? I do plan to follow this brief overview with more in depth training for Admin in the future. Thank you for your input! Rob

Dorothy Ginnett Dorothy Ginnett 28240 Points

Hello Robert -

Here is a link to the description page for a terrific new book resource from NSTA that may help answer some of your questions:

Introducing Teachers and Administrators to the NGSS: A Professional Development Facilitator's Guide
http://learningcenter.nsta.org/product_detail.aspx?id=10.2505/9781938946189

Dorothy

Julius Dease Julius Dease 830 Points

As far as being evaluated on implementation of NGSS, one way administrators would be able to see its effectiveness is through evaluating the objectives within the lesson plan and seeing how they line up with the over-arching Performance Expectations coupled with an assessment of the students' learning. As a pre-service teacher, I have been evaluated on a few lessons I've given in front of my peers as well as to a class of students. I was informed by my professor that as long as the objectives aim at reaching aspects of a Performance Expectation and the lesson shows this, then the NGSS are being implemented

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers