Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Student Teacher

Early Childhood

Student Teacher

Author Post
Rebecca Brinegar Rebecca Brinegar 405 Points

What advice can you give me as a student teacher and as a new teacher that would help me make science content fun and interesting for Early Childhood students?

Courtney Stuart courtney stuart 4453 Points

I agree, try the activity yourself before you teach it to your students, just to see what things could go good or bad. Let the children explore ideas, don't jump to the end result let them solve the problems.

Courtney Stuart courtney stuart 4453 Points

I agree, try the activity yourself before you teach it to your students, just to see what things could go good or bad. Let the children explore ideas, don't jump to the end result let them solve the problems.

Brittanie Erne Brittanie Erne 680 Points

Hi Rebecca, As a current preservice teacher I think some of the best advice I have received has come from some of my professors. Do the lesson yourself first, see what you find to be boring and what you find to be engaging. This gives you a chance to change the lesson before you do it in class. I also think doing the lesson yourself first allows you to truly understand what is going on and become excited yourself because if you don't enjoy it they won't either! Children feed off of our energy and it is super important that the energy we give them is positive! I hope this helped!

Ruth Burkett Ruth Burkett 4310 Points

Keep it simple and let children discover. I have found that new teachers want to tell the children everything so they find the "right" answers. Make it easy and simple. Trying to do too much in one session will kill the thrill.

Ling Xu Ling Xu 6458 Points

I think listen to the teacher who have already be the school for several years will be a great choice cause they have already knew the principle of the school

Kylie Sheets Kylie Sheets 3145 Points

The biggest thing you can do is to make sure that the activity works before hand and to make sure the students are going to get what you want out of the activity. By practicing or experimenting before hand you can make any changed needed to makes you are getting the most out of your time with your students. Young children have very small attention spans so we as teachers need to make sure we are maxiumizing their learning while we have them focused.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers