Forums

Forums / Distance Learning / Remote Learning

Distance Learning

Remote Learning

Author Post
Valeria Garcia Valeria Garcia 385 Points

I know remote learning has become a huge norm since the pandemic started. But what are some effective ways that you can incorporate teamwork/student interaction in a setting that is online?

Jennifer Lozano Jennifer Lozano 560 Points

Hello Valeria! An effective way that you can incorporate teamwork/student interaction is by creating a class groupchat and then allowing stuidents to choose their own groups. If students have a class group chat they can refer back to, they will feel safer since they have two different groups they can ask (the class groupchat or privately with their small group). 

Alyssa Guerra Alyssa Guerra 780 Points

Hi Valeria! I was wondering the same thing. I know it must be very difficult to keep students engaged and learning as effectively as they were before the pandemic since there was an opportunuty to be face to face. Especially with elementary students having a short attention span at times, I wonder how science activites and teamwork is incorporated as well. 

Yahaira Echavarria Yahaira Echavarria 400 Points

Hello Valeria, Remote learning has become something that is starting to be normalized especially during this pandemic and many times it's hard to make students do teamwork when they are miles from each other. My experience having the students be separated in groups or breakout rooms I have the students talking and getting to know each other as well as working on the assignment provided by the instructor.

Thomas Nicosia Thomas Nicosia 50 Points

The integration of remote learning in modern colleges and universities as well as in schools is a necessity. A lot of students today have switched to distance learning and like the fact that it doesn't take much time to travel to campuses. About teamwork - all communication between students takes place in messengers as it is, so it is not a problem for them to create a group chat and discuss a task, just chat or after completing their part of the work send it to the chat room for your colleague (another student in the same chat room) to finish it completely. It is their choice to use college writing services such as https://ca.edubirdie.com/college-paper-writing-services or do all the assignments themselves, which takes up their time. But they can also make a collective decision. In lessons, students can also use the chat room or discuss in an online conference with their teacher. I don't see any problem with students working in teams in distance learning.

Joel Hernandez Joel Hernandez 240 Points

Hello Valeria! One way to incorporate teamwork would be to assign a group lesson over Google Docs. This will allow multiple students to work on the assignment at the same time and interact with the ideas each of them have. Another way students can interact with one another during remote learning would be to spilt into groups on Zoom and create separate group chats and have the students work with one another.

Joel Hernandez Joel Hernandez 240 Points

Hello Valeria! One way to incorporate teamwork would be to assign a group lesson over Google Docs. This will allow multiple students to work on the assignment at the same time and interact with the ideas each of them have. Another way students can interact with one another during remote learning would be to spilt into groups on Zoom and create separate group chats and have the students work with one another.

Patricia Leazier Patricia Leazier 4502 Points

In response to Valeria's post, 'I know remote learning has become a huge norm since the pandemic started. But what are some effective ways that you can incorporate teamwork/student interaction in a setting that is online?' I have my students participate in virtual gallery walks and peer reviews/feedback (via, google docs).  This encourgages and demands student engagement and interaction among my students. 

Patty Leazier

Valeria, you could also try 'chat blast' where you ask students to respond (to a question or prompt) in a group chat and tell them to wait until you say 'blast.'  Then all students respond at the same moment.  This keeps them honest and keeps them from copying off each other...they can't wait to see what the others post and then respond.  It's a great opportunity to see what students are thinking and a great way to access their understandings. 

Patty Leazier

Break-out rooms are an amazing way to have students engage and work in small groups.  They allow teachers to intergate smaill group settings and join each room individually to assist students with questions.  

Teachers in a remote learning setting hould explore the GoGuardian program.  This allows teachers to veiw students work from their computer and interact with their students via chats.  You can actually see what students are working on in each tab.  Additionally, you can control and close out any of your students tabs if they are not doing school work.  Its a great program that allows teachers to monitor all aspects of their students work. 

Nick Koulk Nick Koulk 20 Points

Hi friends . I think that everyone once tried to find services on which they can write a dissertation. But probably not everyone could do it well. But I once found someone who ghost writer websites I think he is the best. They do everything quickly and qualitatively. Real professionals work there.

Christian Adams Christian Adams 20 Points

Self-directed learning is really just another name for distance learning. It can be fantastic if a learner is driven to study. It's everything but 'learning' if a student lacks motivation and is prone to becoming sidetracked in a digital setting (like the majority of teenagers).

Veronica Martinez Veronica Martinez 360 Points

Hello, I would like to know what motivating factors teachers used with their students during the pandemic to encourage attendance. As a current undergrad student, I experienced only a few students' logins while doing my observations at the beginning of the pandemic. The teacher told me that she had 18 students on her roster, yet only 9-12 students would log in daily. Did attendance affect your student's learning progress through remote education?

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers