Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Teaching Plant Characteristics

Elementary Science

Teaching Plant Characteristics

Author Post
Jannet Garnica Jannet Garnica 780 Points

Hi everyone, I am currently in a second grade classroom. I have to teach plant characteristics and their importance to meet plants basic needs. I have decided to break down each structure. I would like to teach roots first, then the stem, the leaves, and so on. What are some good experiments to incorporate with my lessons?  Thank you in advance, Jannet Garnica

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

This idea may be more of a ending activity but it is cheap and easy. Go to a local florist and ask them to save you flowers that they are going to throw out because they are too old to sell. This gives you a nice variety of plants for the students to explore the parts of. They can take them apart and sort the various parts of the plants. Good luck.

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

Hi Jannet!
I'm not sure what you mean by 'experiments,' but the Great Plant Escape and Plant Life Cycles website are designed for younger students with information and class activities.
Mary B

Brenda Rivera Brenda Rivera 605 Points

Hi Jannet!

I am currently in a Kindergarten classroom and have to teach a science lesson for my University science class. I too am planning to teach the parts of the plants. What I am working on doing is having my students explore the plants and I will have a song (https://youtu.be/N-l-gsWOKzk) and motions to go along with the song. They may not be full on experiments but they are engaging for the students as they learn about the plant parts.

Good luck on your lesson!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers