Forums

Forums / Distance Learning / Balancing pandemic and school

Distance Learning

Balancing pandemic and school

Author Post
Maria De hoyos Maria De hoyos 670 Points

Being that I am a student myself, I wonder how other students feel with balancing the pandemic and school. Although I personally have (thank the lord) not gotten sick of Covid, I can only imagine how students who have unfortunately gotten sick from this virus, feel when balancing the virus and their school work. I can only imagine how this pandemic has severly impacted many students. Some people may or may not were forced to drop out of school due to this terrible virus and so I wonder, how are other people balancing the pandemic and school? Because although I personally have not gotten sick from it, Ihave many peoploe close to me who have and they have really gone through a lot..

Isaac Cervantes Isaac Cervantes 405 Points

Hi, I am currently a student at UTRGV. I have been blessed that my family has not gotten COVID since we are always following the safety protocols and avoiding public gatherings. Despite this going on, we know that bills still need to be paid. Since I prioritize my education, I decided that a part time job would be suitable for me while taking my 6 classes online. My other family members are also began working so that there wouldn't be too much responibility on one member. I have been blessed that I have not been unemployed and currently my family is working together through this pandemic. 

Julia Llanas Julia Llanas 375 Points

Hello Maria, I am a student at UTRGV and I have not gotten COVID either, thank God. Unfortunately my family has gotten COVID but since I do not live with them I didn't contract it. I lost someone very dear and close to me in October, he already had a fatal illness so COVID advanced it. His passing was really hard because the 2 years I had with my person turned into days. The blues hit hard, I avoided and didn't even bother with school. Luckily, I had professors that understood my loss and allowed me to make up a whole months of work. I was drained metally and emotionally last semester so balancing school was rough and I had so many thoughts of dropping out right then and there. In the end, I pushed through because I know that the person I lost wouldn't have wanted me to quit. I lost alot but I learned how to overcome it, so this semester I'm coming back as an even better student just for my person to be proud of me. 

Amy Lopez Amy Lopez 260 Points

Hello Maria, that is good that you have not gotten sick of Covid which I am also blessed to say that I have not as well. I am currently a student at UTRGV and it has not been easy balancing the pandemic and school. Especially since I was always opposed to online learning and preferred traditional learning by being in the classroom physically, it has been something I had to adapt to of course like everyone else. Like you, I cannot imagine how students that have been sick with Covid had to balance school and their illness. I just stick to a routine and keep up with deadlines to be able to get through the semester successfully. I also have children that are distance learning that need my help as well so a routine has been very helpful but I still find myself stressed. As long as we all keep pushing through and keep a positive mind we will all get through this. I hope that you continue to stay safe and that you are able find something that can help you balance the pandemic and school. 

Janeth Garza Janeth Garza 435 Points

Hello Maria! I am currently a student at UTRGV, and never in my life would have imagined that we would be living through a pandemic. I thank God that my family and I haven't gotten this horrible virus and that we are healthy. However, learning through this pandemic hasn't been easy, I live with seven people and four of them have online courses, which always makes it hard to have a quiet space to be in. The internet is always slow too because so many of us are on it at once. The first months of online learning were the toughest because I was so used to going to school and working, and those were the only reasons why I would get out of my house and interact with people. I had fallen into depression and it felt like I was reliving the same day over and over again. Now that months have passed, I have balanced school and this pandemic better. I decided to buy a planner, research more about covid-19, read on how I could stay safe, workout and made hobbies that could keep me busy. I wish you well and stay safe!

Lizeth Garza Lizeth Garza 495 Points

Hi Maria! I am currently a student at UTRGV and I myself have gotten Covid, but thankfully I didn’t get it bad. I got it before the semester started so I wasn’t worried about balancing the virus whilst having Covid. I don’t know how I would’ve done it since it is very exhausting and draining, I would sleep all day and wasn’t able to think about anything else. I also have two little brothers that I have to help out since they are also distance learning and are not yet familiar on how to work everything. But they are now getting the hang of it just as well as I am because it is something we have to adjust to since we are so used to being in the classroom physically. I didn't like the whole distance learning at first, I didn't have any sort of motivation since I wasn't leaving my house and literally going to class in my room. I wouldn't leave my room! But once I got the hang of it and wasn't stressed anymore I started making time for myself to do things I enjoyed rather than just work and that helped me a lot. Now we just have to stay positive and get through this pandemic, stay safe!

Kylie Surber Kylie Surber 600 Points

Hello there!

I am also a student and I am actually in my senior year at Wright State University. It's kind of crazy because although it is my final year, I haven't actually been on the campus for classes. I have spent almost my entire college career learning online virtually. This has been a unique and sometimes difficult experience for me. It's a lot harder to concentrate when staring at a computer screen for hours during the day, especially when sitting in your own home. There are always lots of things going on around you which can be distracting. Sometimes you have bad connection and miss class content. It's also difficult to communicate effectively with teachers and other classmates when we can only rely on email. We are now in person for the last year, and although we can be in the classroom, we still have to wear masks which may make it more difficult to comprehend the professors.

Melinda Garza-Cantu Melinda Garza-Cantu 510 Points

Hi Maria, I'm a UTRGV student and have experienced exactly what you are feeling it is extremely scary to think about going back to traditional learning. I struggled a lot balancing my work and online classes I felt very alone and distanced from every possible resource. Teachers were giving out work but I felt like I was just doing the bare minimum to pass without really learning anything. Something I did to keep my mind focused and keep myself active was to start cycling this really helped me get out of the house without having any physical contact and possibly getting sick. I hope you have a fantastic semester stay safe!

Isaac Cervantes Isaac Cervantes 405 Points

Hi, I am currently a student at UTRGV. I have been blessed that my family has not gotten COVID since we are always following the safety protocols and avoiding public gatherings. Despite this going on, we know that bills still need to be paid. Since I prioritize my education, I decided that a part time job would be suitable for me while taking my 6 classes online. My other family members are also began working so that there wouldn't be too much responibility on one member. I have been blessed that I have not been unemployed and currently my family is working together through this pandemic. 

Kennedy Bowling Kennedy Harris 230 Points

Hello! I can agree that I have been having a hard time balancing school and the pandemic. When we had virtual classes last year, my son stayed home with me while my husband worked. He is just under two years old and I struggled to pay attention in class while caring for my son at the same time. My education was weakened by not being able to be around other students. Being at home instead of inside of a classroom gave me the freedom to spend time with my son but my classes were not my main focus. I am looking forward to finishing out this last year of school in person. 

Nicole Neumann Nicole Neumann 440 Points

Hello everyone! I am currently a student at Wright State University. I am going into my senior year and it is my first time going to class on campus due to the fact that I was a transfer and had virtual classes the last year and a half. This year taught me a lot, especially the importance of maintaining my physical and mental health. This virus has caused me to lose and gain jobs and changed how I handle my school work and classes entirely. I got COVID in November due to the fact that my significant other was an essential worker and got it on the job. Since then I have fully recovered and have received the Pfizer vaccine in February. I am lucky that when I had it I had mild symptoms and did not spread it to my grandparents. Balancing school was extremely hard last year, especially from doing it from home. It was hard to avoid my home responsibilities while sitting doing my school work. The pandemic taught me how to be resilient in a time like this.

Alexis Van Den Broek Alexis Van Den Broek 3800 Points

As a student, the pandemic has not been easy. I remember during my semester teaching 5th grade our students were starting to panic about COVID and were telling us their fears of being sent home from school and not knowing what would happen. Unfortunately, we did end up being sent home, and I was unable to finish the year with my students. I then went to teach 3rd grade, we came back and wore masks, students of course had difficulty with the masks and we still had several cases where we had to send all of the students home and only teachers could be in the building. A lot of the students had difficulty signing into the Google Meets, they would be distracted, playing with or talking to someone else, or just would not log in. This year, I will be teaching 2nd grade and I am curious to see how this year will go. I will have students that essentially have spent all of their time in schooling, in a pandemic. Distance learning for the students was difficult, so hopefully the students will have an easier time learning.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers