Forums

Forums / STEM / Citizen Science

STEM

Citizen Science

Author Post
Wendy Goldfein Wendy Goldfein 2335 Points

April is Citizen Science Month and Introducing citizen science projects is a great Earth Day inclusion for your students and families. How exciting to be able to help real world scientists and make a difference in the world right from your own backyard and neighborhood! We have a new blog all about Citizen Science on the STEM Activities for Kids website. Explanations, resources and book ideas are all provided so you can develop a great intro for your virtual classes this week.https://stemactivitiesforkids.com/2020/04/20/citizen-science-fostering-the-joy-of-science-and-making-a-difference/

Ashalenia Graham Ashalenia Graham 985 Points

Thank you for the resources!

Jennifer Bryant Jennifer Bryant 1890 Points

This was interesting to me because I have not heard of citizen science. The books and resources given in the blog post would be very helpful to engage kids in citizen science. It is awesome that citizen science gives families a way to learn about science in a setting outside of school. 

Kallie McMurphy Kallie McMurphy 1860 Points

Those look like great resources. Incorporating family and the community into science learning is huge for students. Students at home right now could have possibly even more opportunities for exploring than they have at school. Citizen science also has many opportunities to integrate other subjects. I think caregivers could play a huge role in helping their kiddos see how science connects to so many aspects of the real world and how it is integrated with mathematics and social sciences. 

Kallie McMurphy Kallie McMurphy 1860 Points

Those look like great resources. Incorporating family and the community into science learning is huge for students. Students at home right now could have possibly even more opportunities for exploring than they have at school. Citizen science also has many opportunities to integrate other subjects. I think caregivers could play a huge role in helping their kiddos see how science connects to so many aspects of the real world and how it is integrated with mathematics and social sciences. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers