Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Ideas for engaging elementary students in Science and Engineering Practices?

Elementary Science

Ideas for engaging elementary students in Science and Engineering Practices?

Author Post
 James Alberto 130 Points

[size=4]I'm hoping, whether you teach or work in a state which has adopted the NGSS or not, the wonderful scientifically minded community that is the NSTA will be able to help me. I am looking for recommendations on how to engage elementary students (any grade level) in the Science and Engineering Practices (LISTED BELOW). If you have an idea, please comment with which numbered Practice(s) below you are referring to and, if possible, the grade level you're thinking your idea may work well for. In particular, I'd LOVE to hear about [b]activities[/b] you have used, have seen used, or plan to use to engage students in the Practice(s) you're referencing. Thanks so much for any ideas you can contribute! I will work diligently to ensure they get used.[/size] [size=4]Specifically, the NGSS lists 8 Practices as follows:[/size] [size=4]1) Asking questions (for science) and defining problems (for engineering)[/size] [size=4]2) [color=#000000][font=HelveticaNeue]Developing and using models[/font][/color][/size] [size=4][color=#000000][font=HelveticaNeue]3) [/font][/color][color=#000000][font=HelveticaNeue]Planning and carrying out investigations[/font][/color][/size] [size=4][color=#000000][font=HelveticaNeue]4) [/font][/color][color=#000000][font=HelveticaNeue]Analyzing and interpreting data[/font][/color][/size] [size=4][color=#000000][font=HelveticaNeue]5) [/font][/color][color=#000000][font=HelveticaNeue]Using mathematics and computational thinking[/font][/color][/size] [size=4][color=#000000][font=HelveticaNeue]6) [/font][/color][color=#000000][font=HelveticaNeue]Constructing explanations (for science) and designing solutions (for engineering)[/font][/color][/size] [size=4][color=#000000][font=HelveticaNeue]7) [/font][/color][color=#000000][font=HelveticaNeue]Engaging in argument from evidence[/font][/color][/size] [size=4][color=#000000][font=HelveticaNeue]8) [/font][/color][color=#000000][font=HelveticaNeue]Obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information[/font][/color][/size] [size=4][color=#000000][font=HelveticaNeue]Again, thanks for any help you can provide![/font][/color][/size]

Wendy Goldfein 80 Points

Hi James, We have lots of resource and links to help you address these practices at : www.getcaughtengineering.com Wendy

Iris Lee Iris Lee 150 Points

You can easily engage students in ALL of the Science and Engineering Practices using Phenomenon-Based Learning, for example as it is presented in the Gizmos & Gadgets books from NSTA Press. Here’s the elementary version:

http://www.nsta.org/store/product_detail.aspx?id=10.2505/9781936959389
[color=black][size=4][font=Helvetica]
The activities are both engaging and pedagogically effective, as described in the book’s Introduction. Students work in groups like real scientists, and also like real scientists they ask questions, use models, carry out investigations, construct explanations, and engage in argument from evidence.[/font][/size][/color]

Also, there are kits of materials designed to go with the book that are sold by Arbor Scientific. You can see them here:

http://www.arborsci.com/nsta-es-kits

The kits are expensive, but they give you enough materials for dozens of activities and would be a great investment. If you have funds for materials, definitely consider them.

Iris

Peggy Ashbrook Margaret Ashbrook 10963 Points

The University of Northern Iowa now has the Ramps and Pathways materials for sale in their 'STEMware Marketplace.'  The materials are made by university students as part of their program: https://cgi.access.uni.edu/cgi-bin/swStore/storeFront.cgi 

This is the Q&A page for the Ramps and Pathways activity/investigation: https://regentsctr.uni.edu/ramps-pathways/faqs

Hi James,
Much of the beauty of the NGSS is in the interweaving of the three Dimensions, so for any activity, we need to include and make visible the disciplinary core ideas, and crosscutting concepts, in addition to the specific science and engineering practices, that were combined in the performance expectations.

I find it useful to look at photos of children at work in a science and/or engineering activity, such as building with blocks, and name which practices I see in use.

I'm presenting a session related to the practices at the 2017 NSTA national conference:
NSTA Press® Session: Bringing the S-T-E-M Together in Early Childhood Using Science and Engineering Practices, Saturday, April 1 12:30 PM - 1:30 PM, Los Angeles Convention Center, Kentia Hall D, ' Increase your understanding of science and engineering practices while seeing how young children use them in STEM explorations. Discuss examples and NSTA’s early childhood position statement.'
FORMAT: Hands-On Workshop, GRADE LEVEL: PreK, K, 1 and 2
Peggy

James Alberto 130 Points

Hi, Peggy!
Thank you for replying to my original post. I appreciate your idea of looking at photos of children at work in a science and/or engineering activity to see if I can name which practices I see in use. With your suggestion, I did a Google search for those images. I tried a few phrases before I landed on 'kids doing engineering' and 'kids engineering activities.' Both searches gave me great results with the images they produced! It was enlightening to look through them and see if I could name the practices I saw being demonstrated. After awhile, I found it enjoyable to test myself by seeing if I could name Crosscutting Concepts and the DCI(s) that might have been the focus when the photos were taken. I actually intend to try your idea with some pre-service educators I work with to help them test their knowledge. Your suggestion is a keeper!

I won't be able to make it to L.A. for the national conference this year, but I'll keep my open for you at future conferences I'm able to attend. I noticed your session is being sponsored by NSTA Press. Any chance you have published with them? I would like to take a look at more of your ideas!

Thanks again for the great activity!

James

Peggy Ashbrook Peggy Ashbrook 10963 Points

Hi James, I write the Early Year's column and Blog for NSTA and I am involved with the NAEYC Early Childhood Science Interest Forum. I got into the writing work through teaching at a preschool where I wrote up my science inquiry lesson plans for the classroom teachers. Those lesson plans formed my first book (Gryphon House) and a compendium of some of my favorite columns formed the second book (NSTA Press).

I'm glad the suggestion worked for you and I encourage you to use it with your preservice teachers. I hope you'll join the NAEYC Early Childhood Science Interest Forum on the NAEYC site, find us on Facebook, and on Twitter. In addition to the Early Year's column and articles, the NSTA journal Science and Children also has an occasional column called the Early Childhood Resources Review, where high quality books and materials are described. Best wishes, Peggy

James Alberto 130 Points

Thank you so much for sharing these great ideas and resources, Peggy! I will hunt for your books. :) It's funny you mention the kits for purchase. We were asked literally yesterday by our College's Dean if there were any supplies or classroom resources/technologies we thought we should look at purchasing. I will certainly give your suggestions a thorough look through and let you know if we pick any of them up. Thanks again! James

Hi James, Book publishers sometimes create kits to go with a teacher resource book. I think they often have too few supplies in them for an entire class. The Ramps and Pathways activity is developmentally appropriate for preK-grade 5, and fun for all ages. See more about it on the University of Northern Iowa’s website. http://www.uni.edu/rampsandpathways/ They did years of research on it and present about it at NSTA and NAEYC conferences—very inspiring. One of the originators and author of the NAEYC Ramps and Pathways book, Christie Sales, sells the ramp pieces but you can buy the cove molding at places like Home Depot and Lowe’s and just have them cut it into standard lengths. Her company, Constructivist Childhood Materials, also sells pattern block frames. http://www.patternblockpuzzles.com/store/p16/Premium_Ramps_and_Pathways_Kit.html Best wishes, Peggy

Iris Lee Iris Lee 150 Points

“Book publishers sometimes create kits to go with a teacher resource book. I think they often have too few supplies in them for an entire class.”

That is not the case for the excellent “Phenomenon-Based Learning” books that I mentioned previously.

http://www.nsta.org/store/product_detail.aspx?id=10.2505/9781936959389

The kits have enough materials to keep the entire class engaged — on various topics in physical science.

Also, the kits were not created by the book publisher, but the educator-authors, who really know what they’re doing. Highly recommended!

Iris

Good to hear! Educator-authors with classroom experience usually know what will best fit the needs of teachers.
I didn't intend to paint all kits with the statement that kits sometimes have too few supplies.) Perhaps it is more common in early childhood circles where many programs have tiny supply budgets???
Peggy

Cynthia Garcia Cynthia Garcia 2745 Points

Hi Alberto! I am currently an Elementary Education major. I recently did a STEM activity with students for a science assignment that they absolutely loved. The activity was the Ramp and Roll STEM Challenge and can be found on Teachers Pay Teachers through the following link: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Ramp-and-Roll-STEM-Challenge-SAMPLE-1634686 The students loved having the cognitive freedom to create their own ramps. The students worked collaboratively in groups and had to work together and discuss what they thought would and would not work. It was a success and I plan on using this when I have my own classroom. Hope this helps! -Cynthia

Ruth McDonald Ruth McDonald 1980 Points

If you are not familiar with Picture Perfect STEM and Picture Perfect Science, by Emily Morgan and Karen Ansberry, I encourage you to check it out. The lessons use the 5E model and are NGSS aligned, and the most recent STEM lessons are strong in engaging elementary students in the Science and Engineering Practices. There is an online course beginning January 30th that Karen and Emily are teaching. Take the course in the comfort of your own home and receive a free eBook. Course is $175 and you can register here: https://www.nsta.org/district/pps.aspx

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers